applestar
Mod

Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016

I like smoothies and veg juice when I'm sick, too. I've been feeling the summer heat stress.

I made a Korean cold buckwheat noodles the other day. It comes in a package with 2 servings of thin fresh noodles and 2 bags of "radish broth" I was trying it for the first time and had no idea what to expect, so ate 1st serving as is. Yesterday, I made the second serving by blending several huge leaves of Bok Choi, kale, radish and broccoli with the packaged broth into very dark green smoothie, then pouring over the cooked chilled noodles. Torn up nori on top as garnish. Very very green and yummy. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tonight's dinner was green salad and stir fry veggies over couscous.

Green salad had from my garden: mixed lettuces, swiss chard, baby broccoli, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas.

Stir fry had from my garden: potatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper, kale, lots of basil, plus some store bought ingredients.

Last night was the bean cheesy chard recipe from Recipes for a Small Planet. I thought it was interesting. You know how FaceBook pops up "memories," what you posted on the same date last year or two years ago or whatever? FB came up with my post from two years ago, same date, talking about making the bean cheesy chard from my garden chard. When you eat from your garden, you tend to eat the same things at the same times of the year! :)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

cabbage.JPG
early cop.JPG
Will eat some of this tonight. This is one of my most beautiful cabbages ever. Almost felt sad to harvest it. No worms, no aphids, nada! I've taken to growing Early Copenhagen mostly. It does well here, I think it outgrows the pests better. I start it indoors from seed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice cabbage.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garlic, onions, potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini squash, blue lake bush beans, bell peppers, oregano, parsley.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Garlic scapes with my canned pinto beans for lunch.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Garlic scapes with my canned pinto beans for lunch.
Was gonna say "like a propah suthnuh!" But then I saw Ohio. :oops: better getchu some Cornbread to go with them beans! :wink:

Tonight I sautéed onions, squash, purple Marconi peppers, baby spinach and garlic with some evoo and s&p. Made it into a "cream" sauce by adding almond milk and veggie broth base. Thickened it with a little tapioca flour and nutritional yeast (sounds gross...awesome parm replacement!!!). Added some fresh green peas and a big blob of white miso paste at the end. We served it over broken lasagna noodles, cause lame-o numero uno right here thought we had pasta but didn't check PRIOR to cooking sauce... It turned out GREAT! Big kid ate it! Wee kid ate it! I got some left over for lunch tomorrow!! (Yay!)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Escarole! With chicken sausage and potato cakes ...
IMG_20160625_081718141_HDR.jpg
The escarole is a perfect accompaniment for my Saturday brunch :). There is quite a bit in the garden. It makes a good change from bok choy and broccoli, and before the cabbage is ready.

I think I'll get some beans soaking for Sunday's lunch. Escarole and bean soup!

Steve

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
Tonight I sautéed onions, squash, purple Marconi peppers, baby spinach and garlic with some evoo and s&p. Made it into a "cream" sauce by adding almond milk and veggie broth base. Thickened it with a little tapioca flour and nutritional yeast (sounds gross...awesome parm replacement!!!). Added some fresh green peas and a big blob of white miso paste at the end. We served it over broken lasagna noodles, cause lame-o numero uno right here thought we had pasta but didn't check PRIOR to cooking sauce... It turned out GREAT! Big kid ate it! Wee kid ate it! I got some left over for lunch tomorrow!! (Yay!)
Lindsay: that sounds so healthy and if it was delish, count me in! Any way that you can provide a recipe, or is that it, lol?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay: that sounds so healthy and if it was delish, count me in! Any way that you can provide a recipe, or is that it, lol?
Hahaha! Unfortunately I'm WAY too lazy to write anything down. I cook very touch and go. It's kind of funny that I have SOOOO MANY cookbooks. It's an obsession. A cook book is a great gift! Especially if it has pretty pictures! With such a love for them, I NEVER use them...EVER! I grew up watching my nanny cook everything by taste, feel, and look. I cook exactly the same way. I generally look at cook books for general ideas, and then go with it my own way. Very rarely, it hasn't paid off. Resident Man can't fill a handsworth of fingers of the bad meals I've put in front of him. (But the bad were BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!) (and some he ate anyway, bless his heart.)
I'd say it was roughly:

1 red onion sliced
3-4 medium zucchini/squash
1 long purple Marconi pepper (think red bell) sliced
4 cloves of garlic smashed very hard :twisted:
Sauté in evoo-maybe 1-2 tbsp. Until softened.

Add 3 chunky handfuls of spinach, and cook until mostly dry.

Add enough unsweetened/ unflavored almond milk, soy milk, or regular milk to JUST cover the veg. Then add:
2 cups of cooked white beans
2 Tbsp vegetable base (it's a paste)
3 or so tbsp of tapioca or arrowroot powder (first mix it with 1/2-ish cup of COLD water until lumps are gone.)

Bring to heavy simmer. It should thicken quickly and then add:
Salt and pepper to your seasoning taste
1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
1 cup of peas

Pour over a whole box of cooked pasta. Simmer with pasta for a minute or two, and then serve.

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Oh! I forgot! Add a big blob (3-5 tbsp.) of white miso paste right when you add the sauce to the pasta! It's salty, so you may want to account for that when you season with s&p.

KitchenGardener

Thank you so much!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

El gusto es mio! :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Had company for dinner last night to share the bounty! Dinner was green salad, pesto potato salad, corn on the cob, and rotisserie chicken for the non-vegetarians.

EVERYTHING (except chicken!) from the garden. Salad was heavy on chard and kale with cherry tomatoes. Potato salad was garden potatoes, with my own pesto, chopped up big tomato, bell peppers, and a bit of jalapeno. Everything but the little bit of mayo in it from the garden... And a whole big bowl of fresh picked corn! More than we could eat!

applestar
Mod

image.jpeg
We had these for lunch yesterday. Looking at the picture, I'm thinking they don't look all that appetizing, but I didn't want to roast them until crispy with crust. In fact, I was half thinking of steaming them because I wanted to preserve the tender goodness of new potatoes. In the end, I coated them in EVOO, freshly clipped Rosemary, smashed outer clove of an elephant garlic, Pink Himalayan seasalt. And freshly ground black peppers, some butter cut into bits, and chopped oyster mushrooms. Put on a parchment lined sheet then folded excess parchment over the corners and all around, leaving open middle. So they semi-steamed. 425 for 30 minutes.

I tried to get family to tell me which one tasted the best so I can narrow down the varieties to grow, but they said they ALL tasted great. :lol:

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

So far only peas and radishes and lettuce. Looking forward to cukes, tomatoes, beats, carrots, etc.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

El gusto es mio!

The pleasure is mine! Except you are sharing gusto* here. How could this not be the best thing about a vegetable garden forum? Just to have an idea of what others are enjoying from their gardens, adds pleasure to my gardening life.

Rainbow''s feast ... AppleStar's new potatoes, subtly and wonderfully different from the way they will be from storage and subtly seasoned by an accomplished cook -- no wonder "they ALL tasted great."

Steve
*from Spanish: taste

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I ate my very first homegrown cucumber today :) I wish I'd taken a photo! It was delicious and the skin was nice and tender with seeds just the right size. I was worried it was picked too early but it seemed perfect!

Last year was my first try at growing them and I only had a single plant. The only cukes it produced were twisted and malformed so I just stopped watering it and gave upl. This year I have several plants and they are absolutely covered in babies that seem to be growing nicely with a beautiful shape.

applestar
Mod

Gotta have cukes! Mine are starting to take off and some are starting to bloom 8)

My sunniest area elderberries are in full bloom -- some have already faded, but more to come and the shady area ones have only just started. :()

I was trying to decide if I want to harvest the flowers since I still have some of the bottled flower syrup from last year ... I made a lot and hot water bath canned them :D But today, I made a slushy with one. Oh wow it's very sweet ...as sweet as those artificially colored 7-11 ones, I would surmise, but mine is made with our frozen strawberries -- oh so YUM!
image.jpeg
I'm done gardening for today, but definitely going out and gathering some flowers tomorrow! :-()

KitchenGardener

had a stirfry of snow peas, broccoli, onions, carrots and tofu all from the garden. I grow the tofu on one of those little mini tofu trees. :() It was so good.

Today's lunch was a saute of onions, summer squash, red pepper (not from the garden but I DO have my first padrons :-() ), tomatoes and basil. I ate it all, just can't stop when its so good.

lettuce is just about gone, one more head to eat before the next batch grows up. Onions are bulking up and they along with the shallots have no plans to die any time soon. I learned my lesson by pulling some and realized their thick green stems are still very much producing and alive. That said, I have been pulling them, cutting them in half and grilling them and they are very, very good indeed. No one else can have any (okay, maybe just a little).

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

had a stirfry of snow peas, broccoli, onions, carrots and tofu all from the garden. I grow the tofu on one of those little mini tofu trees. :() It was so good.

HAAAA! (I was sneaking on the site after I finished my LAST homework assignment of this blasted Spanish class...oh thank goodness!!! and this made me LOL. The Downgraded to Permanent Roomate Resident Man asked me what did I think was so funny about Spanish 101 :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: ! BUSTED! )

Tonight we had a lentil stew made with tomatoes and onions from the garden. We had sliced cucumbers and sliced Cherokee Purple, Valencia, and Eva Purple Ball tomatoes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Had company over for dinner last night. Had green salad with garden cherry tomatoes and the first of my green beans, and fresh tomato pasta.

For the pasta: Sauteed onion and garlic (no garden garlic this year :( ), added mushrooms, salt and pepper and one of my little jalapenos, then a whole bunch of fresh basil, like more than a cup. Added in the chopped up stems of my rainbow chard. After all that was tender, put in six cups of fresh picked kale and chard (kale first because it takes more cooking), adding a cup or so of the water the pasta was cooking in. Once that was tender, I put in two pints of fresh picked chopped tomatoes and cooked just until the tomatoes started to soften.

Put the tomato and greens mixture on top of the drained-and-buttered-but-not-rinsed pasta, threw some sliced almonds and grated parmesan on top, and presto! quick, easy, nutritious, wonderful dinner! I should have gotten its picture, it was so pretty with the dark greens,red tomatoes, colorful chard stems ....

And all the onion peel, garlic skins, basil stems, mushroom stems, etc simmered up afterwards into the most wonderful smelling soup stock!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This is actually from LAST season, and I have to finish them off soon! I just used a butternut squash (or rather, most of it) last night. I still have 12 in the basement, and the new ones are showing up on the vines. It will be a long time before those are ready, but I have to use these up! And they are the largest ones - the reason I've put off using some of them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

DINNER Last night. Salad with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, parsley, oregano. Corn on the cob. BBQ pork chops on the grill.

bobbyg

Made some vegetable soup from zucchini (yellow and green), white onions, yellow beans, and store bought carrots for lunch. Came out real good. Got to decide what to make with these tomatoes tomorrow.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We always make vegetable soup with tomatoes. You just scald and skin them, and crush them in the pot with your hands. Then add fresh corn cut off the cob, and cut fresh okra, s&p. In a seperate pot, I boil potatoes and shredded cabbage. Then you just pour them together add s&p and serve with cornbread.

So easy, and it's so delicious!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

applestar
Mod

Jealous!
Image :mrgreen:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Had friends over for Fourth of July cookout and had a garden feast, supplemented with Farmer's Market (FM) local produce.

Fruit salad, nothing from garden, but lots of fresh ripe Georgia peaches from FM

Tomato salad: From the garden -- Two pints of tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet corn (my stunted second planting, not worthy of being corn on the cob, but filled out the salad well), lots of basil and parsley, supplemented with FM yellow summer squash and marinated in Italian dressing.

Potatoes roasted on the grill -- Made a foil pouch with potatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, green onions and lots of fresh herbs, all from the garden. Drizzled it with olive oil, salted and peppered, and put the whole pack on the grill.

FM corn on the cob grilled in the husks. (My third planting of corn is tasseling now, so there will be more garden corn, just not right now)

AND a pitcher of mojitos made with fresh picked mint!

OMG everything was so good!

I never understand why Thanksgiving is the end of November when there's nothing left in the garden. This is the real Thanksgiving, now in the season of abundance!

applestar
Mod

Sounds wonderful, Rainbowgardener!

...so, at this point, are you ambitious to grow more corn next year or? ...In the summer, DH swings around to the farmer's stands on the way home and picks up corn by the dozens and family devours them, so my little harvest is NOTHING in comparison but to me it's still satisfying to grow my own, and each ear -- umm year -- has been better than the last. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I have my third stand of corn looking SUPER healthy and just starting to tassel. So there's still more corn coming. More than that I don't know. The one thing I definitely want to grow more of is potatoes! Potato crop is now gone and they are so good. Even the Farmer's market potatoes I bought aren't as good as my garden ones, though better than store bought. And they were expensive. I can get really good corn, cheap, every where.

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

ok....tonight we are having....RICE....(well, I didn't grow it, it will be a nice base for what comes next)

and...stir fry....with some nice sirloin that I got at the store and our fairy tale eggplants (with one little ichiban thrown in)

and some of our korean hot peppers, sort of a chinese pepper/eggplant steak...those peppers are a little hot, maybe more than pablanos, but far less than serranos or thai hot peppers....even way less than jalapenos

in the stir fry will be some of our ginger that I have grown

looking forward to it

this weekend, me and my son-in-law are going to harvest all of our jalapenos, thai, serrano and whatever other hot peppers we are growing, and make some pepper jelly...we have done this before with store-bought jalapenos and habeneros.....big mistake, although good :mrgreen: .....this will be a little less hot, although not much....have some long (really long and skinny) thai peppers....they are unlike any thai peppers I have ever seen...have a good flavor but atomic hot....

will let you know how this works out

/dave/

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Dave,

We tried the Ball's Blue Book recipe for Golden Habañero Jelly, and it was fantastic! So if you have enough to make 2 batches of something, definitely give that a try! Worth it!

Lonesomedave

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Dave,

We tried the Ball's Blue Book recipe for Golden Habañero Jelly, and it was fantastic! So if you have enough to make 2 batches of something, definitely give that a try! Worth it!
hey...how about posting it?....they don't have it online and I don't have a ball's blue book.....

/dave/

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

This book! I love this book, and the pictures are just amazing!
This book! I love this book, and the pictures are just amazing!
See!!! Beautiful!
See!!! Beautiful!
The recipe!
The recipe!

Lonesomedave

thanks!....it only needs a little pepper, so I believe we can make it....instead of habenero, it will be mixed hot pepper, but it does sound good....no bell pepper and 1/2 cup of mixed hot...sounds really good.... :mrgreen:

have copied the image, saved it and printed it out in photoshop...came out great...very readable

/dave/

Lonesomedave

just out of curiosity...I went out and looked at the plant tag on my long skinny (atomic) thai peppers

they are called GONG BAO...anybody ever heard of them?

not only are they the hottest I am growing this year, but they are the most productive....the pepper plant looks like a christmas tree with lots of long skinny green ornaments...definitely a keeper for next year

/dave/

applestar
Mod

If you plan to save seeds, it's a good idea to bag the flowerbuds before they open to isolate to keep them pure. Hopefully it's not a hybrid.

Post some pics please? 8)

Lonesomedave

here you go....one picture of my Gong Bao pepper

long and skinny, and frightfully hot

/dave/
Attachments
dave's GONG BAO peppers2.gif
dave's GONG BAO peppers2.gif (148.32 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”