applestar
Mod

Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016

I wish I had salmon growing in my garden :>

I sowed some dill, too... between where I planted sweet potato slips :roll: ..I saw them come up, but then lost sight of them when the sweet tater vines took off in the heat of the extended heat wave. :x ...me and my bright ideas :?

applestar
Mod

Have not tried this yet, but ---

Did you know hot pepper leaves are edible? I came across a reference and looked up some recipes. This one is supposed have been voted No.1 at the website. It looks like a good way to use those immature hot peppers at the end of the season with frost looming.

Tsukudani is a type of Japanese side dish/accompaniment served in one of those tiny dishes -- usually not a very big portion, strongly flavored and intended to be eaten with rice.

(Roughly translated by Google then edited for clarity)
Tsukudani recipe how to make by than currant leaves pepper | Rakuten recipes
https://recipe.rakuten.co.jp/recipe/1050009004/

Ingredients ( two to three servings )

- Branches of hot peppers -- use tender small leaves and de-stemmed large leaves approx. 60g

- immature green peppers (core and remove calyx and stem end if necessary)

Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
Mirin 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 teaspoon
*Bonito soup stock granules half teaspoon
*Water 1 tablespoon

*or 1 tablespoon bonito flake broth

Boil water in a pot, parboil leaves and green peppers with a pinch of salt for 3 to 5 minutes .

Cool parboiled leaves in a large colander soaking in cold/ice water. Drain and gently squeeze out the water.

In a small pot, combine soy sauce, mirin, sugar, bonito broth granules and water. Add the finely chopped leaves and peppers and stir over low heat until most of the moisture has cooked off.

imafan26
Mod

finally, got some corn. It was soooo good.

Pepper leaves are edible. The most common use here are sili leaves (top whorl of chili pepper leaves) that are added to Filipino soup. It has a pepper like flavor but is usually not really hot.

https://panlasangpinoy.com/2014/12/02/ch ... la-recipe/ Tinola - you can use gourd or chayote if you don't have green papaya
https://thequietmom.com/blog/chili-leave ... ken-recipe

Thai curry paste with chili leaves
https://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/green-curry-paste

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes, Leeks, and Celeriac (root celery) ...

Sauteed those diced leeks. Added the chopped Red La Soda potatoes and celeriac with some water and brought that to a boil. A few minutes later, it was time for the garlic salt, fresh-ground black pepper and a spoonful of Maggi sauce. Butter, milk and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese were last ...

Soup! With a toasted bagel ...

Steve :D

PaulF
Greener Thumb

all we have left are tomatoes, doing better in the late season than ever before, peppers which are loaded and producing like crazy and cabbages which are small and sweet. Everything else is caput.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Lemon cucumbers, tomatoes.

Dirt Man

I picked about 10 tomatoes for dinner we are having tacos. Bell pepper plants are starting to make peppers about 1" diameter so far. I planted potatoes today I am going to cover them with a small green house hope they don't freeze until January. Lots of food in jars and freezer. I should have sweet potatoes about November.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do fruit trees count? We are sure getting some nice apples right now.

applestar
Mod

Nasturtium leaf chips :()
-- Kale Chips are SO YESTERDAY :>

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

jal_ut wrote:Do fruit trees count? We are sure getting some nice apples right now.
You bet apples count! I think tomorrow I'll try an apple gingerbread recipe to use some of my delicious apple bounty.

applestar
Mod

My "healthy" snack --

Tangy drained home made yogurt "cheese" on home baked rye bread with this season's harvested radish and clover seed sprouts, a little freshly ground black pepper and evoo. Nasturtium flower and leaf, and roselle leaf chips on the side. Image

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I sliced a whole bucketful of apples and put the slices in the dehydrator for dried apple chips. These make a nice winter treat.

applestar
Mod

That sounds wonderful, James! Low apple yield this year so I have only made a few that have quickly disappeared. :lol:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The world's "homeliest" vegetable - celeriac (celery root)! Only a few of this year's plants were of good size. June's seesaw temperatures and a dry growing season limited their growth.

And, leeks! These two veggies, with the previously harvested potatoes ... I've got the bestest potato soup!

Steve

KitchenGardener

digitS' wrote:Image

The world's "homeliest" vegetable - celeriac (celery root)! Only a few of this year's plants were of good size. June's seesaw temperatures and a dry growing season limited their growth.

And, leeks! These two veggies, with the previously harvested potatoes ... I've got the bestest potato soup!

Steve
Yum - love leeks and celeriac!

applestar
Mod

I had store-bought sandwich -- a nice one actually -- one of my faves --store carved turkey breast, tomato, provolone on focaccia with avocado slices, dried cranberries, and mixed gourmet baby greens with mayo. I made it even better with a pile of first harvest of my own saved seeds radish sprouts/microgreens :)

KitchenGardener

I made a roast chicken with roasted Fall vegetables including onion and pumpkin from my garden. Yum, my pumpkin was so good and so sweet! This is the sugar pumpkin I thought was a goner because I had accidentally cut the vine while it was still growing, but it was close enough to ready that it managed to get there - and be excellent!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes, Cucurbita ... but, C. maxima in my case :).

And, flowering Bok Choy with dinner even as we speak. It's nice and sweet.

Frost again this morning but real cold weather is being kept at bay with what will probably be a record, rainy October. Now, I just have to get the small Bok Choy plants outta the garden and transplanted into the greenhouse bed so that I can have stir-fry in December ;). Finally, the dahlia roots are in from the mud and soon down to the basement. So, something else can be done!

Steve

kayjay
Green Thumb

I made some chili last night with peppers and tomatoes from my garden. The tomatoes were the last of the picked-green-before-frost, kept in a paper bag for a few weeks. Not the nicest specimens for slicing and eating raw, but fine for cooking.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Fall garden harvest today. Peas are starting to get ripe there will be enough for dinner soon. Something attached 4 pea pods looks like birds pecked them to death. Several small hot peppers and banana peppers. Lots of bell peppers. Cool weather the bell pepper plants are loaded with about 50 medium bell peppers. No rain in 3 months may be why peppers are small, we may get frost next week so peppers may not get much larger. When frost kills the sweet potato vines sweep potatoes it will be time to dig potatoes. Kale is starting to come faster than I can eat it. Swiss Chard is still small I'm not sure how much frost the plants can take so there may be no Swiss chard harvest. Broccoli plants are still small and not doing much I water them every day but we were having 88 degree weather last week today is 71. I harvested 2 ripe tomatoes for dinner yesterday evening the cool weather is what the plants like they are loaded with about 75 tomatoes but not many more will get ripe with frost on the way soon. I have tarps ready to cover the plants when it frosts I hope to have ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving dinner maybe even Christmas dinner.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The only fresh produce available here this time of year is apples. So here I sit eatin apples and playing on the computer.

We do have bottled beans, beets, and frozen corn.

imafan26
Mod

Avocado for breakfast. Yum.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a batch of Szechwan eggplant with the last harvest of the season. I have made this dish more than any other eggllant dish, and this was more than a double recipe, with 36 oz. of eggplant. I also used a large amount of this year's garlic - equivalent of 18 cloves, but only 5 cloves of Estonian red! This is why I like those varieties. I also used scallions which I grow using small shallots as onion sets - makes great flavored scallions, and huge in only 2 months.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I made vegetable soup on Friday with tomatoes from my yard. Everything else was store bought. I did a pizza last night with homemade pizza sauce from my own tomatoes.

latitude33
Newly Registered

Still harvesting peppers, tomatoes, and kale. Sowed cilantro, spinach, onion (yellow granex), garlic, fennel chard, snap peas, and potatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”