applestar
Mod

Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016

applestar wrote:Did you ever post what you MAKE with Upo? I'm really curious now. I bought a short one at the Hmart -- am looking at it wondering what to do....
I looked around and noted that imafan kept mentioning soup. So I grabbed a couple of reference recipes from the Internet and made a Turkey and Upo soup. :D
image.jpeg
Yellow color (aside from the stove hood light) is from my MIL's tomato -- I think it was a Yellow Brandywine -- very yummy front end and middle flavor notes with strong acid finish. I thought it would go better with the left over roast turkey, color wise, than a red tomato. In addition to the standard onion and garlic, I added a small green jalapeño and used about 1/2 cup of kimchee radish broth from a store-bought cold noodle kit in addition to fish sauce to up the flavor. Mung bean cellophane noodles, too. Very yummy. :wink:

I cubed and froze the other half. I hope that will be OK for using later.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Yesterday's dinner was a saute of summer squash, sugar snaps, onion, basil and tomato with a good handful of beet greens thrown in at the end all from the garden (it also had leftover corn cut from the cob but that was from the farmer's market). And grilled steak. Big yum!

Tonight, I was feeling uninspired, so pan fried a frozen Mahi Mahi burger, and picked every padron pepper I could find and then sauteed them in good olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt. So good - I dream about them all year long! Oh and a handful of cherry tomatoes. I can make a whole meal of appetizers and tapas from the garden!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

aug 3.JPG
Will be eating this tonight. Tasty Green hybrid cuke; Stringless green pod bean, radishes, greyzini, a Rutgers. Also, the last 6 Ambrosia corn ears.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tonight was just picked Silver Queen corn, plus pasta with fresh basil pesto and cherry tomatoes from my garden.

kayjay
Green Thumb

20160802-veggies2.jpg
20160802-veggies2.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
My haul from yesterday. I made a big salad out of the chard, pepper, and some leftover 'Red Robin' tomatoes. Tonight, I'll be doing cucumber chips in the dehydrator and maybe zucchini pasta with the spiralizer for dinner.

I'm pretty happy about that head of cabbage, even though it's undersized. I'll probably do cole slaw and probably some cabbage + bacon.

applestar
Mod

I made cornbread with fresh blueberries in the batter and then drizzled blackberry sauce I made from the rejects, then scattered dollops of strained berries that were used to make the sauce with that were still clinging to the underside of the strainer

I had my THIRD piece topped with more blackberry sauce and a scoop of ice cream on the side. :()

applestar
Mod

My children have discovered it only takes 20 minutes in the toaster oven to roast potatoes cut into home fries, coated in oil and sprinkled with sea salt. They are going through the harvested potatoes for imperfect tubers to cook and eat -- I think I just heard the toaster oven beeps for the third batch finishing :()

applestar
Mod

Used some of the squash and overgrown cucumber, onions, carrot, garlic, jalapeño, herbs, etc. and made Creamy Yellow Zucchini, Cucumber Boat and Mushroom soup

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Now you really did it Apple. Cornbread with blueberries and blackberry sauce? That sounds sooooo good. What time's dinner?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

My garden is small this year due to lack of time. My tomato plants are doing great. And I love my beautiful blanket flower plant. Here are some pictures from today.
San Marzano Heirloom Tomato
San Marzano Heirloom Tomato
Sweet Million Heirloom Cherry Tomato
Sweet Million Heirloom Cherry Tomato
Blanket Flower Plant (I think that's what it is.)
Blanket Flower Plant (I think that's what it is.)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lots of tomatoes (cherries) and cucumbers :):
IMG_20160804_194858.jpg
Some of these are the very first off the plants. The pink beefsteak on the left will need a day or two for ripening.
home-design.jpg
"First off the plants" is also true with the Lemon cucumbers. Often they are quite late altho I like them best while they are still green and before they look so much like a lemon. The Mediterranean-types (Muncher, here) are often harvested while they are tiny. I haven't found the need to do that and have been enjoying them and their American slicer neighbors for a week or so :). Now there are some Alibi pickling cubes which I don't really need, not being a pickler ;).

Potatoes and beans! Green bush beans. They are great numbers coming off the Jade bean plants! We froze quite a few but it will remain to be seen if DW has much interest in those thru the winter. She is very much a fresh fruit and veggie person.

The potatoes are mostly Red LaSoda. They are supposed to be a midseason variety but are going down hard. I also haven't figured out if I'm growing a common soopermarket veggie with Red LaSoda. This is my first season with them and they have produced just fine! This, despite record-breaking early June heat which seemed really hard on the potato patch.

I didn't grow potatoes for about 25 or 30 years because they are so commonly and cheaply available. Then, curiosity got the best of me and I've enjoyed one new variety after another in recent years. I suppose it's okay if I've worked around where I'm just back to what I could buy in the store. Having good success with a crop is important to me and I have them new and fresh at this time of year ;). Purple Majesty and Purple Viking are also coming out of the garden. The Purple Viking is another very productive early variety for me. I wish shipping wasn't so high on seed potatoes but I continue to promise myself a late winter drive of only about 150 miles to avoid paying it ;).

Steve

applestar
Mod

I LOVE your tomato picture, digit'S. Another reason to grow all the different colors and shapes, too.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I made cornbread with fresh blueberries in the batter and then drizzled blackberry sauce I made from the rejects, then scattered dollops of strained berries that were used to make the sauce with that were still clinging to the underside of the strainer

I had my THIRD piece topped with more blackberry sauce and a scoop of ice cream on the side. :()
My goodness that sounds so yummy!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I collect more than 5 cucumbers each day and just now I've have collected 7 tomates!!! Yay! Also some elderberries, french sorrel, and kale

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today picked an armload of sweet corn.

applestar
Mod

Not sure if this was "delicious" -- DD and I both agreed it tastes good but for some reason, it's not something you want to drink too much of. -- but we split about 4 cups between the two of us and decided that was about the limit.

Sweet Cherry Tomato Slushy

2 cups dead-ripe Coyote that split when picked or split in the rinse bucket -- these are normally eaten that day or collected in a dedicated bag in the freezer
1/3 cup water

Heat to boiling, then strain, pressing out all the juices. pour over 3 cups of ice cubes in the blender then blend smooth with 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/3 cup sugar until smooth and slushy. Beautiful pale yellow color.

...thinking maybe adding coconut cream, light cream, or yogurt might make it interesting
...wondering if fresh pineapple juice might be compatible

...wondered if anyone has tried making bloody mary or virgin mary slushy...

sunflower13

I have been picking herbs, tomatoes and cucumbers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Candy.jpg
These are Candy onions. I also have 100% mature Walla Walla Sweets.

The SV4058 white onions are just now starting to fall (2, out of many). Of course, I have been enjoying all of these right up until this time, at all stages of growth. This is the first year for SV' in my garden ... I really wish someone would come up with a more appeeling name ;). Anyway, I get away with more time than I'm supposed to with storage in my basement for sweet onions but I'm hoping some variety will make it right through the winter.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Went out and wandered around.... found a handful of little red tomatoes and some broccoli.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Some large cherry tomatoes, a California Wonder, some nice nantes, a short fat cuke that was supposed to be burpless hybrid but isn't, :( and the greyzini plant just keeps pumping them out.
cherry etc.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Eggplant parmesan!

Sweet peppers!

Cantaloupe!

Sweetcorn, from the second sowing!

More tomatoes, almost every variety!

:) Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dinner tonight was a veggie stirfry. This one had from the garden: peas (that were frozen from when we had peas earlier in the season), one onion, one carrot, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and one big yellow crookneck squash, from the plant that was treated with tanglefoot! Yay!!!

And we had fruit salad that included the last of our small harvest of apples, so good!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I finally got some good tomatoes from my garden! Nothing beats home grown tomatoes!

applestar
Mod

I'm trying to make my first blackberry fruit leather. It turned out that the two fruit leather trays I thought I had belonged to a previous incarnation of dehydrator and were too big to fit in the current one, so I had to improvise with parchment paper.

I made some apple sauce and used the same food mill after changing the plate to smallest sized holes for straining the pureed blackberries, so there's a bit of applesauce in the mixture as well.

And afterwards, I'm such a miser that I swished the thick berry paste from all the tools -- blender, food mill, spatulas, measuring cup -- with filtered water, then strained in the smallest mill and ended up with this "beverage" -- somewhat tart but somehow, so very delicious. :D

The little bit of sweetened applesauce in the saucepan that didn't fit in the jelly jar has been finding its way into my tummy by spoonfuls, too, I wish we had some vanilla ice cream ....

applestar
Mod

I made a dessert with some tapioca starch "jello", tart blackberry beverage and a blob of sweet apple sauce :>

applestar
Mod

4 cups of frozen blackberries made two trays of leather. Just heard a DD saying, "...cannot resist...must have more..." :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Corn, beans, potatoes, squash, okra, melons, onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, herbs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

on my walk through today picked some red tomatoes and some cucumbers.

applestar
Mod

Thai Kang Kob (C.moschata) -- possibly x Seminole -- squash from LAST YEAR'S harvest, carelessly collecting dust on the corner kitchen counter all winter, spring, and summer.... :oops: :shock:

All scrubbed clean and then --gingerly-- cut open. Look how nice! The rind lifted and developed this waxy surface along the cut. Baked/roasted in the toaster oven for 1 hr 30 minutes at 400°F in an aluminum foil tented baking dish with a finger of water, pats of butter and dash of sea salt.

It was delicious with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and half-and-half then dusted with pumpkin pie seasoning/spice mix. I saved half of the seeds and baked the rest with the squash to eat. Hulls were easy to shell and seeds were yummy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow, AppleStar!

We brought home 2 Buttercup (C. maxima) from the garden, yesterday. This is something DW has tried the last couple of seasons. I doubt if the squash would keep a month but we will eat them sooner.

If you had done this, you would have squash from both this and last year's garden ;).

Steve
who must have very poor squash storage conditions and seldom gets them through January

Dirt Man

Tomatoes, corn, beans, potatoes, okra, peppers, herbs, garlic, onions, melons. Sweet potatoes not ready yet. Fall garden coming up, celery, Napa cabbage, beets, broccoli, chard, peas.

My computer crashed now I am using a 4 year old laptop. I forgot my password and the forum says, I have exceeded my allowed number of guesses. Using an old email that has not been used in 10 or 12 years and a different user name I managed to register and get on the forum. Every time I reset my password I NEVER receive an email???
Last edited by Dirt Man on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

Hey Dirt Man, check your private message. We can fix your issue there. ;)

Dirt Man

webmaster wrote:Hey Dirt Man, check your private message. We can fix your issue there. ;)
I clicked the pm message, I see no message there?

applestar
Mod

If you have messages, it will be indicated at top right of the page -- click on envelope -New messages- , or text ( # new messages), at top right of the page

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016
09 09 16"

Just picked a 4 inch basket full of raspberries.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lots and lots of ..

. melons,

cantaloupe and galia!

:) Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, crookneck.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Not eating yet but I got enough tomatoes and peppers for a small batch of salsa!

applestar
Mod

"Healthy" Brunch yesterday --

* cucumber, banana, and strawberry smoothie made with rice milk, greek yogurt, flax seeds, and lime juice, sweetened with stevia
* eggs "poached" with green tomatoes in evoo and a smear of concentrated sauce from leftover meatballs in hot pepper jelly/chili sauce, scattered with diced red mini-bell pepper, red, white, and pink cherry tomato halves and slices on top, covered until eggs were semi-set, served over short grain brown rice/quinoa cooked with chickpeas and konbu. Garnished with garlic chives blossoms and immature seedpods. ;)
* coffee sweetened with hazelnut flavored coconut milk creamer and sprinkled with ground pumpkin pie spice blend

:D

...figs, persimmons... Pickled summer harvested vegs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”