applestar
Mod

Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016

I had store-bought sandwich -- a nice one actually -- one of my faves --store carved turkey breast, tomato, provolone on focaccia with avocado slices, dried cranberries, and mixed gourmet baby greens with mayo. I made it even better with a pile of first harvest of my own saved seeds radish sprouts/microgreens :)

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I made a roast chicken with roasted Fall vegetables including onion and pumpkin from my garden. Yum, my pumpkin was so good and so sweet! This is the sugar pumpkin I thought was a goner because I had accidentally cut the vine while it was still growing, but it was close enough to ready that it managed to get there - and be excellent!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes, Cucurbita ... but, C. maxima in my case :).

And, flowering Bok Choy with dinner even as we speak. It's nice and sweet.

Frost again this morning but real cold weather is being kept at bay with what will probably be a record, rainy October. Now, I just have to get the small Bok Choy plants outta the garden and transplanted into the greenhouse bed so that I can have stir-fry in December ;). Finally, the dahlia roots are in from the mud and soon down to the basement. So, something else can be done!

Steve

kayjay
Green Thumb

I made some chili last night with peppers and tomatoes from my garden. The tomatoes were the last of the picked-green-before-frost, kept in a paper bag for a few weeks. Not the nicest specimens for slicing and eating raw, but fine for cooking.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Fall garden harvest today. Peas are starting to get ripe there will be enough for dinner soon. Something attached 4 pea pods looks like birds pecked them to death. Several small hot peppers and banana peppers. Lots of bell peppers. Cool weather the bell pepper plants are loaded with about 50 medium bell peppers. No rain in 3 months may be why peppers are small, we may get frost next week so peppers may not get much larger. When frost kills the sweet potato vines sweep potatoes it will be time to dig potatoes. Kale is starting to come faster than I can eat it. Swiss Chard is still small I'm not sure how much frost the plants can take so there may be no Swiss chard harvest. Broccoli plants are still small and not doing much I water them every day but we were having 88 degree weather last week today is 71. I harvested 2 ripe tomatoes for dinner yesterday evening the cool weather is what the plants like they are loaded with about 75 tomatoes but not many more will get ripe with frost on the way soon. I have tarps ready to cover the plants when it frosts I hope to have ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving dinner maybe even Christmas dinner.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The only fresh produce available here this time of year is apples. So here I sit eatin apples and playing on the computer.

We do have bottled beans, beets, and frozen corn.

imafan26
Mod

Avocado for breakfast. Yum.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a batch of Szechwan eggplant with the last harvest of the season. I have made this dish more than any other eggllant dish, and this was more than a double recipe, with 36 oz. of eggplant. I also used a large amount of this year's garlic - equivalent of 18 cloves, but only 5 cloves of Estonian red! This is why I like those varieties. I also used scallions which I grow using small shallots as onion sets - makes great flavored scallions, and huge in only 2 months.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I made vegetable soup on Friday with tomatoes from my yard. Everything else was store bought. I did a pizza last night with homemade pizza sauce from my own tomatoes.

latitude33
Newly Registered

Still harvesting peppers, tomatoes, and kale. Sowed cilantro, spinach, onion (yellow granex), garlic, fennel chard, snap peas, and potatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”