sldahlberg
Newly Registered

Eggplant Seedling

I planted several eggplant seeds of the same variety and when the seedlings came up I noticed they were purple. Does anyone know which variety of eggplant this could be? I know they were eggplant seeds I planted, but I wasn't told which kind.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Maybe Purple Japanese Eggplant? I know those plants have purplish stems.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have had very few eggplant come up purple; however, last season I grew Listada di Gandia for the first time, and the leaves were purple in the very beginning - first time this had happened in many years. The leaves soon turned green, on this one, and the few that this happened with in the past. Here's a photo of Listada di Gandia:

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes, Pepperhead, you are right.
From what I've seen, young plants (seedlings) almost always change color. For example, I had a purple tomato seedling just yesterday :shock:

MockY

A purple tone to your seedlings could also indicate phosphorus deficiency. For example, if the growing medium is too cold, tomatoes will struggle and turn purple. It does not necessarily mean there is a lack of phosphorus in the soil but an inability to absorb it. Even though I find Epsom salt to be snake oil, people use it along with warmer soil to combat this issue. Seeing as tomatoes and eggplants are related, they may share the same problem.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

MockY wrote:A purple tone to your seedlings could also indicate phosphorus deficiency. For example, if the growing medium is too cold, tomatoes will struggle and turn purple. It does not necessarily mean there is a lack of phosphorus in the soil but an inability to absorb it. Even though I find Epsom salt to be snake oil, people use it along with warmer soil to combat this issue. Seeing as tomatoes and eggplants are related, they may share the same problem.
I agree. But one of my tomatoes (Same kind) sprouted looking purple and then in less than 24 hours became normal again. ...ahhh nature's miracles

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”