Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: broccoli in the south

I live 30 south of Nashville TN I don't plant broccoli in the spring here anymore it gets too hot too quick they always go to seed. I plant broccoli first of September. We don't get frost until after Halloween. We don't usually get freezing weather until Christmas. Broccoli, chard, Spanish, kale, peas, lettuce, turnip greens, Chinese cabbage, carrots, all do very well when planted the first week of Sept.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Speaking of broccoli, I stopped at a different farmers market today, checking out the who's who and whats. One fellow had broccoli and cauliflower, beautiful! We were vendor neighbors at the market I usually do, and we chatted. He lives over the line in MS, retired from county extension, and now grows lots of stuff. We did have a mild spring, and he starts lots of stuff inside, but I was in awe! He had just picked zucchini, new potatoes and more. Yes, I fell for broccoli, zucchini and potatoes. My eyes got big looking at the pretties!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Zucchini already! My potato plants are blooming. I'm thinking that means there will be new potatoes soon?

I harvested some of my broccoli today even though the heads were only 2.5 " across. The heads were starting to loosen up and weren't going to last much longer. Some of the broccoli is in a slightly shadier area, so will be OK for a few more days.

The plants are starting to make little side shoots already.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu May 12, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You were spot on, Lindsay!! Today I noticed my first cabbage white butterfly fluttering around my garden! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Ugh! I hate those things! I barely have nasturtiums poking their little seedling heads out, and I keep catching them hovering....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I wanna get one of those little tennis racquet bug zappers.... The only reason I haven't yet is because I'm afraid big kid will misuse!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”