briand97
Newly Registered

Will my cabbage produce heads?

Hi,

I live in Oregon and seeded some cabbage last fall... they are growing amazingly well (about 3 feet in diameter, bright green & no holes in leaves) but no heads yet, as of late April. Wondering if this is normal or if something went wrong. I've attached a photo, maybe there is a sign I'm not seeing.

If something did go wrong and no heads are coming, I'm assuming I can still use leaves for sour kraut etc...
Attachments
IMG_1292[1].jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

How have the temps been?

A few things can affect blindness in cabbage.

#1 time. You may just need more time. If the weather has been super cool, it may take longer. I would thing you should have head formation at this point though, so.....
#2 over fertilizing with a high nitrogen fertilizer promotes more of that dark green foliage and can cause blindness. A fertilizer with a lower N and higher P are better for cabbage head formation. Incorporating rock phos or bone meal into the soil is an organic way to go. Or you could make like R Kelley and p........ Can't say that!

Soil ph can prevent availability of all that NPK stuff to your plants so you may want to see where you are ph-wise and try correcting from there.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

There are some other reasons, but your plant looks super healthy, otherwise, and I don't think they apply here.

You could just pick the outer leaves now and use them for whatever!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely you can use the leaves. My broccoli has tiny baby heads now, but I keep eating some of the leaves, just making sure I don't take too much, so it can keep feeding itself.

imafan26
Mod

I agree cold weather will slow things down. Cabbage heads up in its own good time. Cabbages take anywhere from 80-180 days to mature.

I don't even try to grow head cabbages, they take up too much space and in my warm climate I am better off growing the Asian greens and buying my head cabbage at the store.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”