sime
Newly Registered

Help me save my seedlings while on Vacation!

Novice gardener here. I have a difficult situation that I am hoping to get some advice on.

I am moving to Ontario, Canada in May and then immediately taking a 4 week vacation into June. I have no friends in the new location to help with watering. I want to grow tomatoes and miscellaneous herbs and flowers in a small veggie garden. I think my best option right now is to plant seeds right when I move in, inside and in germination trays with either capillary wicking mats or a capillary driven auto watering system such as a hydrospike. I will keep a hood on to keep in the moisture to prevent drying over the 4 weeks.

Obviously not a great situation, and will have a late-ish start to the year, but hoping I can salvage the growing season. How are my chances!? Any tips or advice is much appreciated!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

4 week vacation?! Wow :) wish my vacations lasted that long.
Anyway, I think the hydrospikes are a good idea only if the seedlings are big. For small seedlings hydrospikes won't work.
And covering the seedlings for that long isn't a good idea.
Maybe I'm wrong though, so be open to other suggestions from other people.

I would buy grown seedlings from the store after your vacation, if I were you, so I wouldn't worry about my baby seedlings.

imafan26
Mod

You could also hire a house sitter. They will water the plants and take care of feeding the pets and it is best not to leave a house empty.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:You could also hire a house sitter. They will water the plants and take care of feeding the pets and it is best not to leave a house empty.
Agree 100%, you can look for house-sitters on Craigslist

Mr green
Green Thumb

What if the housesitter is a burgler? I would never dare to do something like that. It would have to be someone I know, or some close to it. 20years ago however noone even locked their housedoors here in Sweden. Today is a whole different story. The burglars come in daylight, even when people are home. You have anykind of system to help you prevent that?

However I would happily pay some friends kids or something similar to do the job, they need a little extra cash for the summer them young ones. :)

My grandma got all her gold stolen by homecare service personal, to drop an example as to why I'm sceptic to these things.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I don't really see that working out... for 4 weeks you would need someone experienced tending to your plants. Can you plant in May (purchase seedlings) before you go and hire someone to water if required? Not sure of the climate there.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Maybe for this year at least it would be better to just buy some plants when you get back. Keeping a hood on for that long (if it is airtight) seems like an open invitation to mold, mildew, damping off, disease, etc. ( as Anna said) :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Buy a 1/4" hose irrigation system with an electric timer. Set timer to come on every day at sun down for a few minutes. Sprayers are rated in pints, quarts, gallons per hour. They sell do it yourself irrigations systems at Lowe's in Arizona but not in Tennessee. Check with your local Lowe's and Home Depot they can order it if not in stock. You could buy one on ebay too. The whole system is cheap, pack of 10 sprayers $3, 50 feet of hose $4, timer that screws to your home water faucet $30.

sime
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to try to start my own seedlings and try to get a neighbour to hold the fort for me for the month, if that doesn't work I'll go the route of planting some store bought plants.
Cheers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”