ffmb
Newly Registered

Basil issues

Something is putting holes in my basil and in other pots where there are no holes there's browning on the edges what can cause that? Otherwise it's growing fine.

I am going to put a net over everything what's the best material to use? My husband is building it for me with pvc.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_3436.PNG

applestar
Mod

Netting will not help if the culprit is already in the soil and hiding in the plant. Holes in basil looks like slugs or caterpillar of some sort might have made them.

Pinch off the entire leaf of one of the brown tipped ones and examine the underside closely -- this is a separate issue. If unsure, take a well-focused photo and post.

ffmb
Newly Registered

Thanks. I checked for slugs and caterpillars but I will check again tonight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the problems you mentioned. But is that a bunch of little basil plants? And a bunch of parsley plants? And several baby tomato plants? all in one container?

That will never work. Depending on what variety/ size of tomato plants you have, you usually want ONE tomato plant in a very large container. They don't need to be in a large container now, when the plants are so small, but in a few weeks they would need to be transplanted in to one. Unless it is a dwarf or "patio" variety, most mature tomato plants are like six feet tall and three feet wide and they need a lot of soil and nutrients.

If your container is something like 15" wide, it could have two basil plants and a parsley plant in it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thin. Ya, I know gardeners don't like that word, but in many cases it must be done if you want nice large plants. We tend to put in more seed than is needed as a hedge against poor germination, but when it comes up it needs to be thinned. You can pull the extras and eat it, toss it in the garbage, or make mulch out of it. You decide.

Lots of varieties of tomatoes. Determinate and Indeterminate are two types. On the determinate, the plants will grow to a certain size and stop expanding, bloom and bear fruit. On the indeterminate type the vine keeps growing all season and in areas with long seasons these can get huge.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”