AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What is this seedling? Lettuce or pumpkin?

Hey there!
Since it is my first time growing lettuce from seed, I decided to start the seeds indoors. So, I filled a large plastic container with soil from one of our garden beds.
So, I didn't have any new lettuce seeds in the house, and driving to the store to get some seeds wasn't an opion, so I used some very old ramain lettuce seeds. The packet must have been like 5 years old, as the design on the package was old and was a bit molded on the top edge. But I decided to try plantin' 'em anyway :)

So one of the seeds germinated....BUT I'm not sure if the seedling is lettuce or Pumpkin. The reason I think it might me a pumpkin seed is beacuse we have ornamental pumpkins standing on the edge of the raised garden bed. And when the pumpkins began to rot, I dug it into the soil.
So possibly the soil in the container for the lettuce had a pumpkin seed.

Any ideas?
Attachments
20160422_113254.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Pumpkin

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Oh that's bad news then :(
Yeah I was suspicious beacuse it was a bit too big for it to be a lettuce seedling.

Well, I guess I'll grow pumpkin then :)

Any of you folks think it's a lettuce seedling? Or any advice to get the old lettuce seeds growing?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Pumpkin, and very leggy from lack of light. Both of these things are typically directly sown outdoors, and I would advise doing that, growing indoors is tough for a first timer.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you Peter! Although I wasnt planning on growing pumpkins, I guess I should try :)
I will transplant it outside as soon as possible for more sunlight.

vicky464
Newly Registered

Pumpkins are nice to grow, but you will need a lot of space. They sprawl out on the floor of the garden. Since you are not too excited about them, I would find a nice spot outside the main garden.

To prevent it from getting more leggy, try placing it closer to the light source.

Mr green
Green Thumb

vicky464 wrote:Pumpkins are nice to grow, but you will need a lot of space. They sprawl out on the floor of the garden. Since you are not too excited about them, I would find a nice spot outside the main garden.

To prevent it from getting more leggy, try placing it closer to the light source.
True, but is no huge harm, since they like to spread out quite alot, and make new roots/feedings spots as they go.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Once my daughters found out that the seedling is a pumpkin, they went all crazy and decided to keep it for them selves and decided to plant it in their grarden :) haha.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pumpkins will cross pollinate with any other squash, and if you save seeds they may or may not come the same next year. Likely not!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”