redneck647

Help needed with vegetable plant identification.

So I have 2 situations where I need the opinions of those who know more then me.

First. Can anyone tell me what this plant is?
IMG_20160415_120708.jpg
Its supposed to be a California wonder bell pepper but its the only one that sprouted and looks a lot like a tomato to me. Am I worng?

Also before this last cold spell I planted red salid bowl lettuce in the garden. I never grew it before and im seeing some strange things out there.
First is this red thing.
IMG_20160415_120839.jpg
My first thought was a weed but I never had any reddish ones in the garden before and with it being at about the right place I'm afreaid to just pull it.
Then again I also have these strange seedlings sprouting with what I believe are 3 seed leaves each?
IMG_20160415_120933.jpg
They are in the right area but are sprouting in a wide swath instead of a line like I planted the lettuce in. Could they be the lettuce or did I get a new weed in the garden?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: Help needed with vegetable plant identification.

Tomato and lettuce is what I call. Lettuce is hardy. By the way, your soil looks pretty dried out.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The top "lettuce" picture is definitely lettuce, but something is munching on it big time. The thing up top does look a lot like a tomato, although it looks a little odd. It's DEFINITELY not a pepper.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maybe a potato-leafed tomato?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... This is not exactly potato-leaf, but I think it's a currant-leaf type -- usually a small cherry tomato variety with wild ancestors like Coyote, Matt's Wild, Sarah's Galapagos, etc.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the second may be lettuce, but it seems to have longish leaf stems, like a dock.

the last pic, the little guys have two seed leaves and one true leaf each. could be lots of things - it'll be easier to tell when the true leaves are a bit bigger.

Rue Barbie

As just mentioned, the second one is indeed not lettuce, but rather dock. :D

redneck647

Thanks.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Looks more like an eggplant seedling to me!

I agree lettuce on the larger red seedling.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”