TatiEva

Is my Garlic ok?

This is my first time growing garlic and I just want to make sure it's ok.
I have planted several cloves in a big container with drain holes I drilled.
I water them when it seems two inches down is pretty dry. That seems to be every other day. I want to make sure they don't rot or anything either.
I notice some yellow looking stains or spots on one of the sprouts. I just want to make sure it's normal.
Could it be a nutrient deficiency?

Just want to make sure they're ok for it being my first garlic growing, lol. I want to learn as much as I can and prevent anything I can.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TatiEva on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Meatburner

Where are you located? Please put that important information in your profile.

TatiEva

Yes sorry, Eastern Central Florida.

TatiEva

My apologies, it hasn't been letting me post a picture. And I moved the post to the veggie section thinking it's in a better section.
I used Miracle Grow organic soil and organic 2-7-4 veggie fertilizer.
I also researched quite a bit prior to planting and did separate the cloves the proper amount and planted them the required depth in the pot.
Last edited by TatiEva on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What did you use for a growing medium? Was it potting soil, garden soil, dirt from your yard, etc.?

I grow garlic every year and it goes in the ground in the early fall and is not harvested until early summer. It does take several months to make the heads and I like to give each plant about 6 inches space all around for good bulb development, I do have mine in the ground of a raised bed and not a pot.

I also have many potted plants and yes, you do have to water them a lot more frequently than in-ground plants. As for the things you're seeing, a picture of it may help someone give you an answer.

applestar
Mod

There were duplicate posts so I merged them here in the Veg forum rather than the organic gardening forum. There used to be an imgur photo link which has been removed? Do you have a better photo? I was thinking the streaky lines could be from slugs, but was hoping someone else had a more solid ID.

TatiEva

Thank you so much @applestar! I felt the post would be better in the veggie section. :)
I will try to get a close up picture. I have also been using a home made jalapeño and garlic pesticide I made and have not noticed any insect activity in the soil. I'm hoping it's not bad fertilizer. I'm a beginner! :/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What fertilizer did you use?

Garlic is usually planted in the fall, just like you would plant daffodils or other spring bulbs.

If your soil is rich, it needs minimal fertilization, maybe just a nitrogen boost in the spring to help it wake up and start growing.

imafan26
Mod

The streaks on the leaf are caused by bugs. I get that too. It scars the leaf but it does not kill the plant. Onion thrips and there is an onion maggot that scar the leaves.
The streaks you have look more like the onion maggot. It is a fly larvae that burrows in the leaf and like thrips eat the inside surface of the leaf and what you see on the outside are the scars from the feeding. It seems to be a seasonal problem for me and it usually makes the tips of the leaves brown when they exit. I see it mostly on green onions since garlic is not around year round. It is a nuisance more than anything else and I don't bother to treat. I just cut off the green onion leaves and discard them and let the leaves grow back again.

https://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheet ... ion/om.pdf

TatiEva

@imafan26,
Yuck :( Do you think it would affect the garlic bulb growth? I just googled "onion maggot" and I see some inside the bulb in google images. I really hope they're not ruining the garlic under ground.
Thanks for the info!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”