shotgun

potatoes killed by frost

potatoes killed off by frost Will they come back ??

applestar
Mod

Are you talking about the upper growth? When did you plant them? Was it just frost or did the ground freeze?

You may need to explore and see if the seed potatoes are still intact. If so, I think they will grow back.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes are 1 of few crops that frost will not kill the potato. The plant on the surface can get eaten by animals, cut down, killed by frost, run over by a vehicle, as long at the potato in the soil does not freeze and die it will grow back.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But potatoes, even the top growth are usually pretty hardy. They are one of the cold hardy things that are planted before the last frost date. A hard frost (like 28) could make the top die back, but a bit of frost (like 32) wouldn't usually. If you didn't have a really hard frost, you should explore whether something else might have happened to your potato plants.

shotgun

thanks

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

My potatoes were hit by frost last year pretty hard 2 times. They came back and I had a pretty good harvest. But, it wasn't a pretty sight at first!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”