pchad2002
Newly Registered

Brown, Burnt Looking edges on Watermelon plant leaves

Hello,

I am a novice gardener and decided to grow watermelon plants from seed this year. Because I live in Boston and, sadly, it is still very cold here the plants are inside under a skylight that gets plenty of warm light. They appear to be doing well, but I noticed the edges of the leaves are turning brown and look almost burnt. Is that because of too much sun? Anyone have any insight or guidance? Many thanks in advance for the help!
Watermelon Plant
Watermelon Plant

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

pchad, you might be overwatering.

applestar
Mod

If that is a peat/compressed fiber pot, another issue is that the roots have reached the sides of the pot and are either getting dried out or running into nitrogen deficiency. It needs to be Uppotted.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Is that the only stem that has the brown? If yes then maybe it's a disease?..

pchad2002
Newly Registered

Thank you for all the responses. It is much appreciated.

I don't think it is disease as the soil is new soil and the plant has never been outside. I also think it is unlikely that it needs to be transferred to a bigger container as it was just transferred to that one a few days prior and the plant itself is only about four weeks old. If the leaf pattern is consistent with over watering then that is likely the culprit. I will do a bit more research on how often I should water them...

Thanks again.

feldon30

Just keep in mind that cucurbits (Watermelon, Melon, Squash, and Cucumber) are EXTREMELY sensitive to transplant. Most people start them directly outside. Transplant is really only called for in climates where there is insufficient warm weather to bring the plants to maturity. I do sometimes start cukes indoors, but I transplant them extremely gingerly.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”