Toxic1979

Comfrey leaves to help with Potatoes Scab?

I've read that comfrey leaves will help with preventing scab on potatoes? Does anyone have any experience with this, and its success or lack there of?

Also, how would you apply it to a raised bed garden? Mix it throughout the garden at a specific depth, or simply lay it around the seed at the time of planting? Grind it down and apply powder to soil, or in a tea compost?

Looking for some thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I have never heard of this, but googled it. (googled comfrey leaves potato scab)
One source said mix some wilted comfrey leaves in with the potatoes when you plant them; another said put the leaves below the seed potatoes; another said use a comfrey liquid. I guess you could get that by smashing some leaves and letting them stand in water for a while, or boiling some leaves with water?

My mom used to boil comfrey leaves from the garden with water and make a comfrey tea. It is a natural diuretic. (helps reduce water retention in the body)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

you could also probably just lightly mulch your potato hills with comfrey leaves. they tend to 'melt' into the soil.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Taiji wrote:I guess you could get that by smashing some leaves and letting them stand in water for a while, or boiling some leaves with water?
Boiling may remove some of the good stuff tho, do like with nettles! Get a bucket with a lid, put the comfrey in there and add some water stirr now and then after a couple of weeks you have a manurelike smelling liquid fertilizer.

Toxic1979

Ill probably try the liquid fertilizer method.

Appreciate the input. I'm not sure how it actually prevents the scab, but I remember goggling "prevent potato scab" and coming across the application of comfrey leaves on one of the sites.

Thanks again.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Nettle tea I usually use in the ratio 1/10. I would guess its best to dilute the comfrey in similar fashion?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”