Toxic1979

Day/ Night Cycling...

When growing seedlings under artificial light, what cycle is best for mimicking Day/ Night?

In the past I have tried to stick with 16 Day/ 8 Night (+ or - 1 hour) given that when we actually transplant in the first week of June, thats roughly the natural cycle at that point.

I've read that some do not even provide a night cycle for the plants. Although I've never tried this, I'm wondering will it stunt or promote growth, or do nothing?

Just looking for info on others experience...

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Actually I think it is hard on plants not to have the dark cycle. Different processes happen in the dark that can't go on in the light.

My seed starting operation here in my new house did not work very well this year. Stuff sprouted fine, but then the little seedlings just sat there and didn't do anything. We moved last fall, so I had to start all over with seed starting, new lights, different soil, etc. I don't know exactly what all went wrong. But I am suspecting part of it was this. I was relying on the lights as part of providing heat, because my little mini-greenhouse was in the unheated garage. So I left the lights on 24/7. I don't know that this was the whole problem, but I think it really does stress them.

Toxic1979

My understanding was similar... plants needed a dark/ night cycle.

Thanks for the share! Hopefully it works out better this year for you!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, I just put the light on them and leave it on 24/7.

imafan26
Mod

Could it be a problem with temperature and not the lights.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Actually I think it is hard on plants not to have the dark cycle. Different processes happen in the dark that can't go on in the light.

My seed starting operation here in my new house did not work very well this year. Stuff sprouted fine, but then the little seedlings just sat there and didn't do anything. We moved last fall, so I had to start all over with seed starting, new lights, different soil, etc. I don't know exactly what all went wrong. But I am suspecting part of it was this. I was relying on the lights as part of providing heat, because my little mini-greenhouse was in the unheated garage. So I left the lights on 24/7. I don't know that this was the whole problem, but I think it really does stress them.
It might be a combination - I started my plants in different soil this year (different from normal, at least) and I'm loosing more plants this year than I did in previous years when I started. Needless to say, I won't be using that soil again at all. Lesson learned.

GardenThrive

I've always gone with the lights 16 hrs on and 8hrs off. I have the lights about an inch away from the seedlings. My seedlings are always strong and healthy. Never tried with 24hrs of light, but might experiment with it next year.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I have tried this, and above 16-18hours is giving almost the same results as 24h. I think the plants like to rest as we do.
I didnt follow up the test so good because it was all going outside.

But my conclusion is that it is not worth going over 18 hours. I tend to have between 12-16 hours.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always run my lights 16/8.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

pepperhead212 wrote:I always run my lights 16/8.
yup, keep it simple

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Light color is more important than hours. Incandescent lights are red. Fluorescent day light bulbs are better. Grow lights are even better. Use a large window fan on low speed to prevent stem rot.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I may grow a small pan or two of plants in the house, but don't go big with it just to avoid the mess. This time of year as the sun gets higher in the sky, not much sun comes in the windows anyway. I have an 8 foot by 8 foot shed out back that I used to keep some chickens in. It has a South facing window. I put a bench by the window. I put a 4 foot two tube fluorescent light over the plants, hung on chains so the height is adjustable. I like to keep the light low just a couple of inches above the plants, and like I mentioned, leave it on all the time. No heater is used in the shed and it can get quite cool at night. The heat from the light seems to keep it from freezing on the cool nights when it may freeze outside.

No, I haven't gotten around to building a green house. Seems like quite a cost when the few bedding plants I need can easily be purchased locally for less than $15.

Toxic1979

I'm going to stick with the 16/8 cycle this year, just to play it safe.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”