nutmeg2356
Newly Registered

Seedlings not growing under shop light

Hello!

I planted my seeds and they sprouted around the 14th of this month (March). I put them under a 4' shop light using "natural daylight" tubes. They were a little cramped, so on Monday I purchased another shop light, with 6500k daylight tubes. They are now split into 2 groups, one under each light. The light is about an inch or so above them. The light is on for 14-16 hours a day.

My problem is that originally (before the 2nd light), I planted one seedling in his own container and he was much closer to the light. He sprouted the 2nd set of leaves about a week and a half ago (the 20th ish). The other seedlings aren't growing... at all. No second leaves, no overall growth since the first week they sprouted. The one seedling with a 2nd set of leaves also seems to have stopped growing....

I started a few new seeds a week ago, which are now under the light as well (I started them because I was afraid the 1st seedlings were ruined).

What is wrong with the old seedlings??? They seem a little yellow today, I've been extremely careful to not over water. I did water them good a few days ago, as the pot seemed very dry.

Help!! I'm so worried about these little guys :(

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! You didn't mention what the seedlings were. Some grow very fast, while others are very slow, at first. And what temperature are they being kept at?

applestar
Mod

Also, what did you use to grow them in?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plants need:
1. Soil, or some soil substitute with the nutrients in it. I suspect your soil may be lacking.
2. Water, the soil needs to be damp at all times. Pots with holes are used so excess water can drain out of pot.
Depending on the size of pot, type of soil and what is growing in it , you may need to water daily.
3. Temperature. 70 to 80 degrees works OK but it can even be warmer.
4. Light, Good strong light is needed. Sunlight is best. Shop lights can work, but need to be close to the plants. If you
can put the plants in a Southern window so they can have some sun and give them the lights at night, they should
do well.

nutmeg2356
Newly Registered

They are Roma, beefsteak, and cherry tomatoes. They're at 70 degrees. I used Burpee organic seed starter mix, "cardboard" cells, and a plastic tray.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I suspect your soil may be lacking. I suggest you find a bag of potting mix, and get some plastic cups, I like the clear plastic 9 oz cups, and transplant the plants into these cups using the potting mix.

If you will add your location and growing zone to your profile it helps us to help you if we know about your location. Growing conditions and weather vary a bunch across the area this board covers.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I'm by no means an expert on seed starting though I have had some good success the last few years.
But, I'm thinking up potting as Jal suggests into some good soil is a good idea. When you say you planted the seeds in cardboard cells, I'm thinking of a used egg carton perhaps? The seedlings could well be too cramped in those cells real quick if that is the case. :)

nutmeg2356
Newly Registered

I live near chicago, illinois. So pretty north. Just got home from work and many have wilted and died, one has brown-ish spots all over the leaves and is toppled over. Nearly all of the pepper plants that I also had sprouted, but looked healthy, are now wilted and dead.

applestar
Mod

Ooh that must be so discouraging. I think you may actually have been under watering them. Paper or maybe jiffy pressed fiber cells are difficult to work with because they dry out and wick moisture out of the soil mix. It's important to water well, every few waterings. Because I use tiny containers, I do need to deep water every 2-3 days and sometimes supplement every day with a squirt from a turkey baster or a pipette. I think hand sprayer is inadequate, though when they are looking dried out, extra humidity helps to re-hydrate them quicker.

Peppers are sensitive and exacting because they have tiny inadequate root systems. They are Easily overwatered, but can also dry out quickly. Providing bottom heat helps with root growth.

Also seed starter mix often do not contain any nutrients -- based on "sterile mix" camp of seed starters -- which means the seedlings feed off of the cotyledons (seed leaves) then run out of food. They need very weak fertilizer as soon as they are ready to grow their first set of true leaves.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”