Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Getting ready to plant 2000 acres.

Several people thought this was interesting last year so here it is again. It appears the soil has already been prepared to plant. Soil is dry, no rain in the forecast so it is time to plant. This tractor and 24 row planter can do 250 acres during the day. They are planting corn this year. Last year they planted about 1500 acres of blue lake bush beans 2 crops for the summer in the same field and 900 acres of silver queen sweet corn in a different field. I never saw any photos of the corn last year. There is a video this year but I don't know how to link it here. When I grew up on the farm we never planted beans until about 2nd week of May, I don't have a clue how they can plant this early soil is still cold and it will probably frost or freeze again before May. It is still cold in TN 30 degrees 3 nights in a row and frost 5 out of 7 days I know it is colder in Illinois. The geographical location is Illinois Indiana border, west side of Wabash river 45 miles north of Evansville Indiana. The last photo shows the planter down and rows have been planted.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Wow, it does look very dry there. Some start planting here in April but often the crop is poor. Farming can be such a gamble. If they planted here now though, the geese would either eat the seed or tender plant. It is best to wait until they get done migrating north.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”