AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Sprouting Onion

Hello there!
I just took out an onion to chop up for my salad, and noticed that it is sprouting. (See pic)
I put it in water, sprout side up. Is this right? Or should the sprout face down?
And also, when should I plant it in soil?
Attachments
20160329_171558.jpg
Zone 8b, Canada

applestar
Mod

Re: Sprouting Onion

What did you do with the base of the onion? This looks like the top. It's the base you want to save and plant. If this is the top, it will not grow -- just eat the green sprout you've cut off. As long as there is a corky base at the bottom of the onion, it will grow roots and new green sprout from as small a piece as 3/4 to 1 inch. I have a thread about it somewhere....
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Oh no! I cut off the top and threw out the bottom! :x oh well, maybe next time...
Thank you anyway Applestar! I will try it next time
Zone 8b, Canada

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just eat the onion! Those old onions just want to flower and make seed. They don't make another good bulb.
If you want to grow onions please go to the seed store and buy a bag of small sets for planting.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Onion Bloom

Or go plant it for the bloom.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”