cass2828

cilantro ...

Hi, I have sown a tray of cilantro(coriander).... in India we use cilantro seeds as a spice(dhanya) so I got a big packet full of cilantroseeds(about 700-800) for less than ₹30 or 1/2 dollar...
Grow big or go home..

Mr green
Green Thumb

Re: cilantro ...

If you like to use fresh cilantro i can also recommend Papalo, bit stronger taste quite similar but yet not, im sure it would be good for cooking as well. We eat it with tacos.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished - Lao Tzu

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yup, Mr Green is right, Papalo is good in tacos! Give it a try, Cass2828 :)
Zone 8b, Canada

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

I am looking for a source for the Indian coriander seeds - the kind that are slightly oval, and golden in color. I have tried germinating the ones I get in the Indian markets, but I think that they must be Irradiated or something like that, to kill something before importing, as none will germinate. And none of the seed packets I've ever gotten had that type, even the types sold to produce spice from seedsofindia.com! Ut, that's what you have to do when gardening - keep trying! I might try some more in "spoon culture" (starting them in vermiculite in spoons), along with some Thai coriander - a small, reddish coriander seed, with a stronger flavor than most.

Something that helps with speeding up coriander/cilantro germinating is to crack the seed, as they have two seeds in each.
Dave

imafan26
Mod

Cilantro seeds can be slow to germinate. You will get better results if you soak the seeds overnight first in warm water.

They do not like to dry out, so keep them moist but not soggy. I used to sow the seeds in moistened potting soil and covered them lightly, sometimes I did not cover them at all and it worked fine. I put a paper towel over the top of the pot and kept the paper towel moist. Watering through the paper towel kept the seeds in place and did not break the fine roots. I would remove the paper towel after they germinated and then bottom watered them until the true leaves came out. I put about 10 seeds in a 3.5 inch pot. They can be carefully teased apart and transplanted but you do have to be careful not to break the roots.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

cass2828

thnx guys...I will try papalo and pepperhead good luck germinating them...post updates
Grow big or go home..

imafan26
Mod

I have papalo, it grows like a weed. It is much easier to grow than cilantro.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Mr green
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I have papalo, it grows like a weed. It is much easier to grow than cilantro.
To me its the opposite, but my climate kinda is too.
There is apperantly different kinds that suppose to be quite different in taste. I do think the one i grew from seeds i bought in Mexico, had alot more pungent taste than the ones i ate in Mexico at the restaurants, i would prefer the milder variety. Or maybe its just growing conditions, i don't know.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished - Lao Tzu

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”