cass2828

Spinach from seed¦¦¦¦

Hi, I have sown few spinach seed in my garden container.. I have been wondering how many days does spinach take to germinate.. By the way I have just sown it :lol:

catgrass
Green Thumb

It should tell you on the package. I'm thinking 14 days-it does take a long time. don't let the seeds dry out.

cass2828

14 days!!!!!! Omg..thnx.. I will keep the soil moist..

Meatburner

It also depends on your location which isn't listed in you profile. What kind of garden container are you using? Those may be more important than the 14 days suggestion.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In my experience, with good conditions, 4-5 days. But you didn't say where you are located. It always helps to tell us where you are located. There are hardly any garden questions that can be discussed without regard to location/ climate. Spinach is a cool weather crop. Once days are consistently warm, spinach will quickly bolt and be done. If you are anywhere in southeastern or southwestern US, it is already a bit late to plant spinach and get much of a crop.

cass2828

I am from India... summer here..

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I got a bag of onion sets the other day and went out and pushed them in. While at it I planted a short of Spinach. Then it snowed. We will see?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cass2828 wrote:I am from India... summer here..
Well, summer isn't a good time to be planting spinach. You should be planting warm weather crops: tomatoes, peppers, squashes, beans, okra, etc.

cass2828

Oh... A Indian sowing chart showed that now is the time to SOW the spinach... I have also sown tomatoes, okra

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I was 27 years ago I knew this old woman from church that has a garden. She told me how she plants a lot of her garden in the snow. She said, sprinkle the seeds in the snow in rows you can see exactly where they are they show up real nice in the snow. She told me all the things that she plants, I was not too sure what to think about it. A couple months later it snowed she told me to come over to her house she wanted my help planting her garden. She handed me the seeds and told me how and where to plant them. I remember sprinkling carrot seeds, beet seed, radish seeds, Spanish, lettuce, chard, and several others in the snow. She told me, I always plant my garden the exact same way I have been doing it like that 30 years. The carrots always go in this row. Radishes always go there. Beats go in that row. Spanish goes there. Etc. Then she invited me in the house for lunch, she wanted me to meet her daughter who was my age and not yet married. A few months later weather was warm she showed me her garden and all the plants were coming up. Wow it actually worked. I have tried that a few times myself in the past 40 years and it works for me too.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black River

Well, how'd it turn out with her daughter? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cass2828 wrote:Oh... A Indian sowing chart showed that now is the time to SOW the spinach... I have also sown tomatoes, okra
Well, you are half a world away. I don't know your climate or your spinach varieties. All I can say is that for me spinach does NOT do well planted in summer. I plant some in early spring a month before my average last frost date and it does ok, but doesn't last very long before it gets too hot for it. Best for me is to plant it in Oct-Nov. It starts growing and then goes dormant for the winter. In late winter it starts growing again and gets huge and lasts for a long time, because it is growing in the cool of early spring.

cass2828

Oh...thnx for the replies guys..

applestar
Mod

rainbowgardener wrote:
cass2828 wrote:Oh... A Indian sowing chart showed that now is the time to SOW the spinach... I have also sown tomatoes, okra
Well, you are half a world away. I don't know your climate or your spinach varieties.
Rainbowgardener has a good point. Is it possible you are growing this version of "spinach"?
Molokhia
If so, kitazawaseed has detailed instructions with how long for germination, etc. on this page :arrow: https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_077-168.html

cass2828

No...it's not the variety that I grow ...this is how it looks on the seed packet.
IMG_20160323_170241965.jpg

cass2828

Guys!!!!! good news! today I saw that the spinach seeds have germinated.....what should I do now

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!!! :D

Just keep it watered. Not soggy or with standing water, but moist. They have very small roots so far, so any day there's no rain you should probably water them. Once they get bigger, you can cut back on the watering.

cass2828

thnx a lot.... by the way I turned my compost bin now and I notice that its not hot... its cold in fact... what should I do? What am I doing wrong?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cass2828 wrote:thnx a lot.... by the way I turned my compost bin now and I notice that its not hot... its cold in fact... what should I do? What am I doing wrong?
answered here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 88#p380388

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

cass2828

IMG_20160402_142120508.jpg
IMG_20160402_142120508.jpg
Updates on my spinach

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good, but it will need a LOT of thinning! What is the diameter of those containers?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

If I could grow spinach like that Jal, I would! What is the variety? Maybe it's my shorter days that keep me unsuccessful.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Variety? Not sure. Likely one of these: Correnta, Bloomsdale, Melody.
I have grown all of these.

Remember, plant early. Spinach is a Spring cool weather crop.

Taiji, we have quite a difference in zone and weather conditions I am sure. I can't say much about growing spinach in Az.
Just remember to try it during the cooler growing conditions either Spring or Autumn.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cass2828, If you are going to grow in containers of that size, you only need to put about 3 or 4 seeds in that container.
You can try to transplant, but spinach is best seeded where it will grow and not seeded too thick. It can be planted out in the soil of the garden as soon as the snow is off and the soil can be worked.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”