JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Who starts or up-pots plants in solo cups?

I posted this on the tomato forum, but I thought some folks that hang here might be interested as well. Check this out:

<cross-post from 'mater board>

So last year I had the unfortunate chore of moving like 80 tomato seedlings in solo cups across town. What a pain! The cups were in trays, but still were prone to falling over. I made quite a mess in my car and ruined a few seedlings. I've found that managing tomato plants in any quantity in solo cups can be a problem. Anyway, look what I found for this year (and the future)! These are a little bigger than a standard 1020 tray, but who cares....problem solved. Very sturdy. I'm excited...

I'm sure this was meant to be planted in directly, but look how well a standard 18 oz. solo cup fits in.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Re: Who starts or up-pots plants in solo cups?

That's very nice! May I ask where you got them? I really wanna order some...
Zone 8b, Canada

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The web address is on the box in the bottom picture. Greenhouse Megastore. I've used them before for other stuff. Good company.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Nice! I use five-inch-deep bus-boy tubs. I can get 19 or 20 solo cups in each tub and because the sides of the tub are as tall as the cups, none of then fall over. I get the tubs for a couple dollars each at an online restaurant supply store.

I've used Greenhouse Megastore for things. They're little pricey, but good service.

GardenThrive

Nice! That would definitely made it much easier a couple of years ago when I used the solo cups. Now I just use the square black plastic pots and matching trays. Seems like they'll hold up better and last longer than the solo cups although more expensive.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I use the Dixie 9 oz clear plastic cups with potting mix. I plant the seed in the cup and the plant can grow in the cup until time to go in the garden. No need for transplanting. Yes, I do poke a drain hole or two in the bottom of the cup. I got some 12 x 18 aluminum cookie sheets to put the cups in.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”