Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Grow some veggies in clusters?

How many vegetable types can usefully be grown in clumps?

After setting out my overwintering leeks in nice rows last year I had a handful of "leeklings" left over so I just stuck them in a corner of the garden as a clump. I'm pleased to see they have grown into kitchen-worthy vegetables, if anything sturdier that their regimented siblings. It will be difficult to harvest them singly; a pot of soup seems appropriate. But I'm wondering what other veggies could be grown in clusters, taking up less space than usual; maybe with reduced yield but needing less attention. I tried it with garlic a few years ago with fair success but I didn't keep good records and the plants were not in great soil so it was inconclusive. Then last season I scattered some "Banner" beans as a green manure. They became a bit of a nuisance timing-wise so I pulled most of them but left what I thought was a single plant that was growing stronger than the rest. It ultimately developed 4 tall, sturdy stems and delivered a huge harvest of beans; more than enough for another season's seeds. I wonder if broad beans planted in a cluster would behave in the same way.

What have others experienced with "zero - spacing"?

Mr green
Green Thumb

Most root crops you can pack tightly as long as they get enough water and nutrients usually the problem becomes the water this will work best in humus rich soils that holds a bit of water each carrot for example may get smaller but in an area of say 2X2 anything the total harvest will be bigger than with normal spacing.
Also most leafy greens you can sow tightly and then harvest some of them as micro greens for an early harvest and to give the remaining some more space.

I havnt tried too many crops my self yet, I don't think my soil is quite good enough yet. But carrots and radishes works well with this method in my experience. If you want you can even harvest some premature tender delicious carrots and free up space for the rest to grow bigger.

Look the end of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npk5DGo1NRs They may not be huge but he pulls like 8 carrots in the space most growers would have one! His bed is jammed full. It makes a good example.
Also the smaller carrots taste alot better than the huge ones IMO.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I find that plants do best when given their own space and enough space.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Then there is the "Three Sisters" corn, beans and squash that have been commonly planted together for generations.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I find that plants do best when given their own space and enough space.
Interesting comment. I 'm sure most plants will do better if not crowded; but if my objective is to get most food from least space with smallest effort, maybe more plants, not doing their absolute best, would suit my purpose. And my (albeit limited, one-year) experience with both leeks and beans suggests they may do very well even when crowded. So my question really is, what experience do others have in growing very close or even "zero-spaced" veggies.

Thanks, jal_ut and Mr green for your comments. That you-tube of jam-packed carrots is quite intriguing. I note the reference to Baker Creek seeds - one of the very few companies, I think, who will ship seed all year round.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”