jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spring is Here

What a beautiful day. Clear blue skies, not a cloud in sight. Temperature 51 degrees at noon. No breeze. Tulips and daffodils just starting to come up.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Seems like we have similar climates! Tulips, hyacinths, and the Crocus is stretching out after the long rest. Finally the terror of winter is once again leaving. :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

You folks are so lucky today...it's raining here in BC :x

applestar
Mod

B-T-S

Our temps here in central KS are warm, today is going to be in the mid 70's and mid 80's tomorrow. The down fall is 30mph winds for the next 10 days :-x

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Spring WAS here we had 75 to 86 degree weather for a month now it is 30 degrees and snowing here today. It is going to warm up to 56 today. I was planning to try mow the yard today if its not too muddy grass in 8" to 10" tall in several places and water is still 1" deep in one place. Typical TN weather, I call it swap season.

Spring is almost here.

Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

It's snowing here! About 2 inches. Looks pretty, hopefully the last of the season!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Lots of rain and wind here. Daffodils and tulips and hyacynths look nice. The grass is really green. Lilacs and rhodies are budding nicely. They will bloom soon. Spring is my favorite season.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Windy! Temps were in the 80's last week-37 this morning at 6:30. We usually have a cold snap around this time every year. Hope my beans, tomatoes, cukes and zukes are ok-cause I did not cover them.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I miss tulips, daffodils and crocus. It doesn't get cold enough here over winter to set the bulbs. :( The up-side is that I have blossoms on my new tomato and bean plants. As catgrass mentioned, it got nippy last night. I covered my plants and so far this morning, everything looks okay. :)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

The pear tree has burst! A couple of 28 degree nights coming though...
pear.JPG
pear blossoms.JPG
It's nice inheriting something like this, it was already here. :)

edited by me. :) maybe shoulda put this in the fruit forum. But the discussion was about spring! Just out of sight of the pear tree, though I did plant some radishes, swiss chard, and onion plants, (short day) , does that count ?

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Glad to hear it jal_ut, I know you've been chomping at the bit.

Taiji -- those blossoms are beautiful. I have a few young pear trees and more than one of them is about to blossom...I might get my first pear this year!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We have a full moon tonight, a little obscured by some cloudiness.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Allyn wrote:I miss tulips, daffodils and crocus. It doesn't get cold enough here over winter to set the bulbs. :( The up-side is that I have blossoms on my new tomato and bean plants. As catgrass mentioned, it got nippy last night. I covered my plants and so far this morning, everything looks okay. :)
I would trade tulips daffodils, crocus for a better climate anyday of the week!

Nice looking moon!

Allyn
Green Thumb

Mr green wrote: I would trade tulips daffodils, crocus for a better climate anyday of the week!
It's a trade-off. In a couple of months, it will be so scorching hot (40+ degrees C) and humid (95 %) that it'll be too oppressive to go outside.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Allyn wrote:It's a trade-off. In a couple of months, it will be so scorching hot (40+ degrees C) and humid (95 %) that it'll be too oppressive to go outside.
And here so cold that you will stay inside! :D But the high humidity your talking about sound a little bit to much yes! 40degrees is ok to me! But not much more, around body temp works fine, a bit above that starts to get really tough to work in.

The last snow left my property today! :-()

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

An inch of snow this morning. 32 degrees and partly cloudy. Springtime in Utah!

Mr green
Green Thumb

Thats a beautiful landscape what a view! We are promised some snow by the weekend I hope not, but its not unlikely.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: SPierce... It's snowing here! About 2 inches. Looks pretty, hopefully the last of the season!

Giggling at this. Here I have had snow every month of the year. One never knows when it comes to weather?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Quote: SPierce... It's snowing here! About 2 inches. Looks pretty, hopefully the last of the season!

Giggling at this. Here I have had snow every month of the year. One never knows when it comes to weather?
So true! I'll place a $100.00 bet, though, that your garden is much more epic than mine! and you have more room... I'm so jealous.

I'm in New England, and heck I've had it thunderstorming in the back of the house and snowing in the front. In terms of work (I'm an architectural photographer) I'd absolutely love to have snow all year, or at least in spurts- makes the buildings look lovely!

I guess since we didn't get any snow at all (or barely any) at all this year, the urge to garden and get my hands dirty this year has been more of a driving force. I'm relishing the extra growing days, too ! I have been busier in terms of work, so I can buy more containers to plant in, more soil, and fill up as much as the yard (on the side of the house) as I possibly can without bothering my housemate (owner of the house).

I also never use the back garden, but I planted some cold weather stuff back there so I might even get those going, too. So I'm really relishing in the fact that, unless I screw up and kill all my plants, I can grow more of my own food this year!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

SPierce, that picture I posted is of my garden plot. I have put in some onion sets and a few spinach seeds, but too early for any growing yet. As I write this its 8:25 PM and the temp is 34 degs F. I am retired from the construction industry, and live on a 2 acre plot with my wife. I grow a big garden and sell at a Farmer's Market. I am ready to get to planting, but its been too cold.

Mr green
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Giggling at this. Here I have had snow every month of the year. One never knows when it comes to weather?
I have seen it in every month except August so far. But has happened in the past so maybe one day I can say the same thing...

Today is a beautiful sunny day, I'm going out there to do something or nothing doesnt really matter!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow! 10:00 AM and its clear up to 41 degrees. Sunny yet nothing growing.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I ended up doing some weeding here and there. Got rid of a massive root system of nettles around my Rhubarb it was quite pleasing.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:We have a full moon tonight, a little obscured by some cloudiness.

So pretty!

and I feel a bit crazy - my eyes didn't even register the garden plot under the snow... the photographer in me (I do this for a living, for better or worse!) just saw the landscape and I thought "Ohhh, pretty!" :D

Still jealous of your large garden plot. I'm using, like, 45+ containers this year. When growing up I always had a garden plot, and used to garden with my grandfathers. Now I live in a rented room and we have a yard, but it's all solid stone (and fill), with maybe 5 inches of really clayish soil at the top, just to keep the grass going. It's a gardeners nightmare.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"and I feel a bit crazy - my eyes didn't even register the garden plot under the snow... the photographer in me (I do this for a living, for better or worse!) just saw the landscape and I thought "Ohhh, pretty!" :D"

I started playing with cameras when 13 years old, have had a number of different cameras since and used to have my
film developing setup in the basement. Then the junk hit the fan and I end up out on the street........ anyway, after a time
I get a new house but the digital age is upon us so I got some digital stuff and don't use the old film type cameras these days. When cell phones became available in this area, I went looking for the phone with the best camera in it. I wanted a shirt pocket camera. Its nice to have a good camera in your shirt pocket. Nice to be able to share the photos online and send one to the color printer if a paper copy is needed. Have fun!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Monday 28 March: Wow another 5 inches of pretty white snow.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:"and I feel a bit crazy - my eyes didn't even register the garden plot under the snow... the photographer in me (I do this for a living, for better or worse!) just saw the landscape and I thought "Ohhh, pretty!" :D"

I started playing with cameras when 13 years old, have had a number of different cameras since and used to have my
film developing setup in the basement. Then the junk hit the fan and I end up out on the street........ anyway, after a time
I get a new house but the digital age is upon us so I got some digital stuff and don't use the old film type cameras these days. When cell phones became available in this area, I went looking for the phone with the best camera in it. I wanted a shirt pocket camera. Its nice to have a good camera in your shirt pocket. Nice to be able to share the photos online and send one to the color printer if a paper copy is needed. Have fun!
Same here. Digital is a necessary nowadays, simply to keep the costs down for my clients! Every once in a while one will ask for film, but the camera I have now is the closest I've ever seen a digital come to film...

Rain here. Listening to it hitting the roof, collection containers outside. I love it. So relaxing I could fall back asleep

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”