kayjay
Green Thumb

Cauliflower and Cabbage Transplant Q

Hi folks. Happy spring!

It's about time for me to start my cabbage and cauliflower seeds, but I see conflicting info on when to put them out. The seed packets say to put them out after all frost danger is past, but my SFG book says they can be set out well before average last frost. :?: My tiny garden is well-protected from wind by a high fence, and I use cloches to protect little plants. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put them out on the early side? What's your experience been, if you're in a temperate climate like mine? I'd rather them finish up early-ish so I can replace them with my summer crops. (ETA) I should add that I've never grown either before.

TIA. :)

Peter1142
Green Thumb

They are more sensitive to soil temps than air temps. Frost won't hurt a hardened off seedling but soil temps near freezing will. Transplant them when your soil has warmed to 50F, IMHO. You can use plastic to speed this up. JMO.

I started all mine already. The soil has probably seen its last hard freeze.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Also be advised that the bugs love the cabbages, cauliflower and broccoli. You will want to do something to protect them from the bugs.

kayjay
Green Thumb

A belated thank you for your replies. I read them as I was dashing out the door for work and I forgot to come back. :oops:

The weather has been wintry this week, but it's supposed to be sunny and 11°C/52°F tomorrow, so I'll be doing some garden tidying-up tomorrow. I'll cut up some black garbage bags as a soil cover. I do have a cabbage moth problem. They were all over my turnips last summer, and everything else, come to think of it. :evil: I'll have to figure out a way to cover my cabbage family veggies. Maybe some kind of frame with cut-up nylons or some other kind of netting. I guess I'll google around for some ideas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”