nickmarkely
Newly Registered

Small Indoor Winter Herb garden

I hope I have posted in the right area, but I am a bachelor and I would love to have a small supply of my favorite herbs in the winter.
Basil, Parsley and whatever else I can do simply.
I am in Buffalo, NY so there is not much sunlight, so can anyone tell me if these two are compatible in the same soil and maybe a few tips?
Sorry to be such a newbie.
Thanks for all your help.
Nicky

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Nicky,

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener. We don't have a catagory for herbs so this will do just fine. Maybe we should add one. :idea:

Basil is considered an annual and needs lots of sun. Parsley is often grown as an annual but actually is a biennial, blooming in it's second year. Parsley can tolerate less sun then the basil, but otherwise they can be grown together. If you are planting from seed it will take much longer for the parsley to germinate, so don't get discouraged if they parsley doesn't show until much later.

Btw, parsley is a larval food for some butterflies, so I plant extra in the garden to share with the caterpillars.

Do you need sites on how to grow herbs from seeds?

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Basil, amazingly does really well in the families home indoors, during the winter. But, they start off with a plant that they buy from a nursery. Actually, you can buy sage plants in nurseries now and in a little pot they seem to do quite well.

Also, I like to have some thyme in a pot around the kitchem. Sometimes, it a good idea to screw some grow lights into your fixtures to provdie the correct wavelength of light for your plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”