EElse
Newly Registered

Various bugs - help identify them

I have 4 different types of bugs on my bush beans and can't really tell if they are good or bad. About a week ago I found some holes in the leaves but that was just one day and then it stopped - no further damage.

I found a ladybug on them a couple of weeks ago and believe I have identified it correctly as a pine ladybird (Exochomus qadripustulatus) - we have a type of pine tree not even five meters away from the container with the bush beans.

Since then I have often seen tiny black flies on the plants, they are about 2mm long (the black part) with wings about 3-4mm. They don't seem to do anything but if they are harmful I would rather take precautions now before the beans start to flower - which should be soon.

Today I found 2 new bugs:
The one looks like a ladybug but I can't identify it. It is black, about 5 or 6mm, with two red stripes - could it also be a pine ladybird?
The other is a type of fly, I think. At first glance it looks like a fly but when you look closer it looks like a cross between a fly and a moth. It is very dark brown almost black and about the size of a normal housefly.

Do you think any of these are a threat to my beans?

I also found a spider on one but left it alone.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

imafan26
Mod

It would help if you could post a picture.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”