homebrewer
Newly Registered

Summer Squash Leaves turning brown at the edges

I planted a few summer squash seeds 3-4 weeks ago and they were growing great indoors under the lights. Just recently I noticed some of the leaves were turning brown at the edges. They are not brown spots, rather a uniform browning over the entire edge of several leaves. It seems to be working its way from the bottom up. The browning then works its way back to the stem. The brown area wilts and dies. I have attached a few pictures. I hope they help.
Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
squash_1.jpeg
squash_2.jpg

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Are you trying to grow full grown squash indoors, in a pot? Or to transplant outside?

Squash does not typically do well indoors / in pots and does not transplant very well. It is usually recommended except in cases of very short seasons to not start seeds indoors. I can see your transplants are flowering in the pots (not good if you are going to transplant), and are past their prime to go outside, IMHO. The leaf edge problem is probably due to inconsistent/overwatering and lack of nutrients in such a small pot.

What's the weather like down there? Could they go outside now?

homebrewer
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. This is my first season with a garden and I planted the seeds a week or so before I learned that squash seeds should not be started indoors. I figured I'd give it a shot since they were already planted. I did plan on transplanting them outdoors, but I'll probably sow seeds instead. Thanks again for your help.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

You could always try to go ahead and plant it out, if you are attached to it. :) It needs to be hardened off, though. And would be killed by frost.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”