Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How many potatoes will you get per plant?

Assume you cut the seed potato into pieces with only 1 eye with 1 sprout how many potatoes will grow per plant?

If your potato piece has 3 eyes with 3 sprouts will you get 3 times more potatoes per plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: How many potatoes will you get per plant?

Each eye on the potato will produce a potato plant. How many potatoes per plant? Good question. You will know when you dig them. Lot of factors involved.

If you want large potatoes it is well to cut the potatoes to one or two eyes per piece for planting. If the plants are too close together you will get lots of potatoes, but they are likely to be small.
Like this:
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Jal you answered my question. I was thinking this is probably common sense stuff just like planting any seed. If you plant 1 corn seed the plant makes 2 ears and about 1000 seeds per ear. If you plant 1 bean the plant makes about 100 pods and about 5 beans per pod. If you crowd seed and plant 5 corn seeds in the same spot or 5 beans in the same spot you get a smaller crop. I learned years ago not to plant multiple seeds in hills like some people do, plants do much better planted in rows. Melons grow much larger planted in rows not hills. Growing up in Illinois potatoes were easy to grow but Tennessee potatoes are a challenge. We are having 70 degree weather my potatoes need to be planted now but the garden is a mud swamp, we are having lots of rain. I am trying to think of a common sense solution to deal with all this mud and water. As much as I dislike raised beds this might be the solution to the mud problem, 1 potato eye per plant. I am going to plant Russets today if I can.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep, if you plant corn too close the stalks in the center of the clump will have no ears on them. Just tall spindly stalks with tassels. With pea seeds, on wet years, we used to say, "Shoot em in with a shotgun!" Might be hard with spuds though. :) Well, put on your boots and go push those spuds in the mud. They will grow when the time is right.

You definitely have a different situation there in TN than I do here in Northern Utah at 5000 ft elevation. We get about 110 days frost free from early May till early September. My corn planting day is May 5 and the taters about the same time. Today I am watching it snow. Have fun!

Picture of my garden

Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

meandtk

Gary350 wrote:Assume you cut the seed potato into pieces with only 1 eye with 1 sprout how many potatoes will grow per plant?

If your potato piece has 3 eyes with 3 sprouts will you get 3 times more potatoes per plant?
A per plant count may be hard.
Plant them 12-18 inches apart. That gives plenty of room for growth.
Production can vary wildly. I got between 4 and 5 lbs of potatoes per 1 lb seed planted last year. I expect to do better this year, unless it's as wet as it was last year.
A friend planted 50 lbs a couple of years ago and produced 495 lbs of potatoes. That's almost 10lbs produced per 1 lb planted.
I hope this helps a bit.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

About 15 years ago I did go out and push the potatoes in the mud. Nothing came up. I guess the potatoes rotted in the ground. Land here is flat as a table top and water is 2" deep most of the time it does not have time to run off with so much rain. April rain will let up and May there will be even less rain. June rain will stop, clouds will be gone, temperatures will be up in the 100s and soil will be dry as the desert and hard as cement. We have an extreme change in weather I think 100 is too hot for potatoes so potatoes need to be harvested by first week of June.

The town is flat as a table but out in the country not far from town are large rolling hills. Farmers have fantastic potato crops probably because the hills do not have water standing on them and no mud it is easy for them to plant potatoes in March. I can buy good potatoes at the farmers market, no need for me to grow my own I just want to grow 1 good crop of potatoes just so I can say, I finally did it. LOL.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Last year I got almost 30 lbs of potatoes from 2 pounds of Kennebec seed potatoes, 10 feet of row, 9 plants. I probably could have gotten even more by cutting some of them and spreading them out more. Kennebec is a high yielding variety.
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

These are Red Pontiacs. They do well here. (Guess I ain't mart enough to get the pic to show? Shakin head, wring hands, stumbling off mumbling.......... :? )

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3

"Shakin head, wring hands, stumbling off mumbling"

Did you try the sledge hammer method? (just kidding!)

Red Pontiacs are my all time favorite potato. Last year one store had them as a seed potato. Trouble is, they get them in so late.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, try again to bring a pic onboard:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Are Red Pontiacs the same Red Potatoes that are sold in the grocery store? I read the Red varieties have 2 times more starch as the white potatoes. Red Pontiacs grow much better in TN than white potatoes, I don't have much trouble growing Red potatoes here they do good in hot weather so I can plant late and harvest late but I want white potatoes they are better baked and mashed.

I am having blood sugar problems and not suppose to eat potatoes. I learned if you slice your potatoes then soak in a large quantity of water for several hours most if the starch goes into the water. Now you have low starch potatoes with the same good potato flavor about 90% less starch.

If you like hash brown potatoes low starch potatoes make better hash browns. I put sliced potato in water at bed time then make hash browns for breakfast.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Starch: an odorless tasteless white substance occurring widely in plant tissue and obtained chiefly from cereals and potatoes. It is a polysaccharide that functions as a carbohydrate store and is an important constituent of the human diet.

Potatoes are about 18% starch. If you are "not suppose to eat potatoes", then don't eat them. Why do you even grow them?

Red, White? They both do well here. All you can do is try it and see I guess?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”