Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Moles in Garden Good or Bad?

I notice today my garden looks like it has been tilled by underground submarines there are 100s of tunnels every where. Soil is so soft it is like walking on a mattress. I know moles eat grubs and cut worms that kill tomato plants. I think moles eat all the worms too?

Should I plant Caster Beans or keep the moles?
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

I consider them friends of the garden. They do a lot of digging and aerating in my clay soil. Most of the time, their tunneling doesn't disturb the vegetables, and they have yet to manage to eat ALL of the earthworms even sharing with the robins.

One summer, I one had cutworms lopping down my cucumber and bean seedlings, and hadn't been able to dig them up/find them. But then, one morning, I noticed there was a mole tunnel next to a cucumber seedling (still standing).... And no more cutworm casualties past that seedling nor anywhere in the vicinity from then on. :D

They say that voles use the mole tunnels, and that can be bad. I think occasionally, chipmunks make use of the mole tunnels by expanding them. But that's about it.

Putting a compost pile in a middle of a bed for a couple of months attracts a lot of worms and moles dig underneath for them, so that all the good nutrients from the compost pile leach deep into the ground underneath, and when I move the pile aside to plant, it's a joy to just rake up the loose fluffy stuff. No digging needed except to distribute and level the area. I call it my "Wannabe-Chicken Tractor" since I can't keep chickens in my suburban garden. :lol:

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I tried the whole live and let live approach. First they were in my lawn, which was OK with me. Then they moved into my raised beds and orchard space. Prime feeding ground for moles. They made too big of a mess of things, so they had to go.

applestar
Mod

It probably depends on where you live, too. Eastern moles are little and don't make big hills.

...found this cute photo from 2009 while following the related thread links at the bottom of the page :()

Subject: More Backyard Adventures
applestar wrote:Aww, but look how CUTE they are !! Note the blurred li'l pink nose from him snuffling around.
... and so polite ...

j3707
Green Thumb

I can't see the image...probably blocked by my openDNS settings, but I agree they are cute, even the big ones. A very impressive little critter too.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I wish the moles here knew they were supposed to stay little and not make big hills. Neighbors dog has killed several, none under 6 inches long (without the tail). They made a mess out of my yard before the dog moved in. They've dug up my just planted bulbs, tunneled under freshly planted seed beds, uprooted newly set transplants. I know they were only after the grubs but they did more damage than they were worth.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I can't imagine that a mole would not eat your garden produce but we don't have much of them here. I do know gophers and they eat tomato's, cucumber and make tunnels, hills and holes that do much damage.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The moles we had in Illinois look like this, about 6" long with big claws in front.

TN moles are smaller about 4" long with smaller claws in front, they only make tunnels no volcano dirt piles.

I am going to let the moles stay. I hope they don't cause trouble in the garden, just wait and see. Soil is soft as a sandy beach it sure will be hard to push a lawn mower in this yard.

mauser

Kill them with fire!!!!!

j3707
Green Thumb

Ha ha

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Out here I can only speak of gophers in the garden. And the answer is: bad, very bad... :x

imafan26
Mod

I think they are cute, even if they are blind. I don't have any so I guess I don't get a vote.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”