Vmaas
Newly Registered

Keep or throw last years unused seeds?

I am planning my garden for 2016 and getting ready to order my seeds. Should I use up seeds from last year or should I just throw them out?

catgrass
Green Thumb

Heck, yeah, use them! Some seeds are viable for many years. Best kept in dry/cool place during the summer-but I have some from 3-4 years that I still plant. Germination may not be the best, but why waste them?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As catgrass says, plant them. Enjoy!

Peter1142
Green Thumb

The only seeds from last year you shouldn't count on are alliums, unless they were exposed to moisture

Allyn
Green Thumb

I keep my seeds in a zip-loc baggie in the refrigerator. They'll keep for years.

jnunez918

I have seeds that are years old. Is there a way of testing them? Like trying to sprout between 2 damp paper towels?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can , but to me the easiest way is just to plant them and see what happens . If some don't come up , you can still re-plant with newer seed.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

jnunez918 wrote:I have seeds that are years old. Is there a way of testing them? Like trying to sprout between 2 damp paper towels?
Yes! :-()

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I would say most of my garden each year comes from seeds that are at least a year old, sometimes older. If starting in grow cells or pots, I just plant some extra ones to insure that I get at least one sprout, then thin later by snipping off the unwanted ones at ground level. Same if planting outside, for example, instead of a couple of corn seeds together, maybe 3 or 4 seeds, then thinning to just one plant. Eventually, I do buy some new seeds though!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have several misc. seeds that are 3 to 8 years old, I planted some test seeds in flower pots a week ago and they are all coming up. The only seeds I will buy this year are blue lake bush beans.

redneck647

I have a lot of old seeds. I just plant a few extra in case they don't all sprout but they usually do just fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”