jrleek
Newly Registered

Has anyone tried Burpee's Triple Crown XP Sweet Corn?

I normally grow White Out Sweet corn (https://www.2bseeds.com/sweetcornwhiteout.shtml), which is an SE type. It's quite sweet even after a few days in the fridge, and fairly productive.

But this year I noticed a new variety, Burpee's "Triple Crown XP" Sweet Corn. Apparently it's a fairly new (se/sh2) variety. Would that mean I have to make sure it doesn't cross pollinate with the SE variety? Is it tough and productive?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have not tried the variety. I would check the "Days to harvest" of both varieties and space your plantings so that the two won't be dropping pollen at the same time.

I went to Burpee's site and searched for "Triple Crown Xp Corn" and came up with no results. Are you pulling our leg?

jrleek
Newly Registered

Well that's weird, I can't find it on the website either, but this was at my local hardware store. They had quite a bit of it actually. I've attached a image of it.
Attachments
Burpee Triple Crown-XP sweet corn
Burpee Triple Crown-XP sweet corn

imafan26
Mod

Check the expiration date on the package. Corn does not keep a long time unless you freeze the seed. It looks like it is a discontinued item. It was not in last year's catalog either.

Jessthegardener
Newly Registered

I have the bicolor also, found them in Northern Virginia.

DBryant
Newly Registered

Grew Burpee's Triple Crown XP Bicolor Hybrid in 2017. Its 75 day so good for our short growing season. It's a tall corn and had good pollination and wonderfully formed sweet ears with about a third having 2 ears per stalk. Planted 8" apart in small 4x4 plot and did some hand pollination of silks. Very pleased with this corn variety and we enjoyed it very much.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”