applestar
Mod

Re: Liutenant broccoli?

I'm sorry I can't help you, marlingardener. I tried to look it up since I hadn't heard of this variety, and ended up with a video clip from ST:TNG.... :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have not tried that one, but looking online, looks like it is an 80 day type. I would not hesitate to try it. Have fun!

highbrass85
Newly Registered

Marlin guns or Marlin fisher or Marlin baseball fan?

imafan26
Mod

I haven't heard of it either but it said it would do better in the south.
I usually plant DeCicco, Italian Green Sprouting, and I used to plant Comet. Comet has been replaced with Southern Comet.
These did the best in my warm climate. The main heads are not that big between 4-6 inches but produce side shoots that make up for it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm glad you found it, MarlinGardener :). I felt some sympathy for your plight but have not grown louie broccoli ...

Packman seeds are a little hard to find. There used to be plenty on the garden center racks - not any more. I have to order them. We need a revival of the video game!

Ironically, Comet was what I grew before Packman must have displaced it. Southern Comet might be an alternative but Lieutenant looks to be about 30 days behind the lines ..!

This area usually goes from cool, cloudy and windy to hot and dry, overnight! I've never tried growing broccoli as a fall crop. Things can get frigid after a September frost.

I'm thinking about a quick order for Green Magic or Amadeus ... Amadeus? They revived that guy?

Steve ;)

MarkW
Newly Registered

Packman has been withdrawn from the market by it's supplier, Seminis. We are trialing a few new varieties to try and replace it. In my experience, there is no other variety as early or as reliable.

imafan26
Mod

Varieties are usually replaced when people don't order them much, the patent runs out, or because seed companies are trying to improve disease resistance. You may want to stock up on pacman seeds and freeze them. If you want them for the future you may have to make room for them for seed starting. You would have to start the seeds about 8 weeks before, broccoli is not a fast grower. I start in community pots to save space. I can't find Green Comet broccoli either and that was a good one too. Now there is only Southern Comet.
Last edited by imafan26 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It's a hybrid ... Here we go again!

A lot of gardeners won't want anything to do with a Seminis variety since Monsanto bought that seed company ten years ago.

We get crowded into corners ...

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”