tdump
Cool Member

if there a weed or fungus or insect problem in the garden

if there a fungus or insect problem in the garden Is there anything that can be done to "kill" the problem? I am asking because I had a bad case of tater bugs. I used the liquid sevin but once things bloomed I had to stop to prevent hurting the bees that live near my large garden spot.
Also,is there any hope to getting rid of Johnson grass? Reason I ask that is the garden was not plowed for over 30 years before I started using it and Johnson grass was there.It was mowed for hay anyway but even after 4 years of working the soil, I still have some here and there and it is frustrating around my taters.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tater bugs: diatomaceous earth. This is not a chemical but the shells of diatoms. It works on some things. I am sure there are plenty of insecticides on the market. You need to decide if you will use any of them in your garden. Note: I am a beekeeper too and the bees don't work the potato blossoms much. Potatoes do not need the flowers to make tubers. You can cut the flowers off then the bees won't be in the potatoes.

Johnson grass. These roots are quite large and perennial. In order to kill it you must actually remove the roots and toss them in the garbage can. Another approach is to fallow a plot and till it every time you see some green coming. The roots will eventually run out of stores and die.

tdump
Cool Member

Ok so my constant turning the roots over and out of the soil for the sun to bake is actually helping! Good. I used that diatomaceous earth in my shop for fleas last year so I know to go by Lowes and get some for the tater bugs! thanks.. I repair lawnmowers for folks sometimes and had 2 come in with fleas and eggs and didnt know it. Man that was a miserable month and a half of spraying twice and day and doctoring on the dogs I let in there without knowing the trouble was there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”