Vanisle_BC
Green Thumb

Kale - cuttings?

I have 2 big Red Russian kales that have overwintered so far. They're pretty ugly but still producing top growth. I'm pondering what to do with them. Are they biennial or perennial? I could just let them go and sow new seeds, but would it work to take cuttings? Or could I rejuvenate the plants by cutting them down close to soil level. Would they regrow?
"The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior." H. D.Thoreau. (Me too.)

imafan26
Mod

Re: Kale - cuttings?

They are biennial and will eventually go to seed. Young ones can be cut down and they regrow smaller leaves. I never tried to cut down an older plant. Older plants don't always come back as vigorously.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

applestar
Mod

Re: Kale - cuttings?

I just let them grow. Here's a copy of a blurb I posted before about Red Russian Kale when they flower :
applestar wrote:...once it bolts and has less foliage, more stem, becomes mostly purple, then has yellow flowers on the maroon/mahogany tems. Gorgeous. (posted photos before)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”