Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gardening and Farming on TV

I found this interesting and some of you probably will too.

2% of the population are Farmers that farm 98% of the farm land in this country.

Gardening is making a big come back and many cities have passed laws in favor of home gardeners.

Neighbor Hood Associations = HOA, have rules against, gardens, clothes lines, tillers, animals, noise, TV antennas, city laws over ride HOA rules. LOL, GOOD, I LOVE THIS. There should be a law against snooty neighbors that tell others what they can not do in their own yard.

It use to be illegal for anyone to have farm animals in the city limits but last summer our city passed a new law, now we can have a limited number of farm animals in town for, eggs, milk, butter, cream, bacon, ham, pork chops, chickens, in our own yard.

I ordered a few things today for my garden on Ebay. I am going to get started with cold weather crops, hot beds.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "I ordered a few things today for my garden on Ebay. I am going to get started with cold weather crops, hot beds."

You go man!

Too early for me to plant for later transplanting, but I did plant two tomato seeds in a pot to see if I can grow a tomato in winter?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I live in an urban area-------right in the middle of it matter of fact. We can have chickens, ducks, of a certain number of which I'm not sure just how many that is, but it would probably miff a lot of neighbors is someone had even one, let alone a couple of roosters crowing at daybreak each morning.

Having been around hogs a few times over the years, I definitely would not like anyone having a few of them in their yard, especially when downwind. That is one of the foulest animals out there as far as how they can exist in absolute filth.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Hogs can be clean, it depends on how they are kept.

Our county passed a poultry/rabbit ordinance a couple years ago. However it was written so restrictive and the permits are so expensive that very few people have applied for one.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Even where I live, out in the country in one of the most rural counties in Alabama, we have Covenants that say No farm animals. But this has more to do with the lake than anything else. I am amazed at some of the city locations that allow chickens and I can't have any.

jasonvanorder

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Hogs can be clean, it depends on how they are kept.

Our county passed a poultry/rabbit ordinance a couple years ago. However it was written so restrictive and the permits are so expensive that very few people have applied for one.

I live in a small town. I have had sheep and chickens in the past and right now the kids have about 20 rabbits. But the town started out as a farming community so most people don't say anything. But the last 10-15 years there has been a huge boom of sub-divisions around so I bet its only a matter of time before they try to push something through

PaulF
Greener Thumb

HOAs need to be made illegal. Small groups get together and decide how the majority of residents need to live. I say go to the meetings and toss the@%&*%#!! out. My HOA consists of two people...my wife is the Pres. and I am the labor.

imafan26
Mod

Actually in the 60's when my mom bought her house I remember in the rules there were certain animals that were allowed but they were limited to 2. Our neighbor had a goat (eventually they ate it). One of the councilwomen who lived closer to town had a pet pig and her neighbors for years tried to sue her to get rid of it. It was a house pig, clean, walked on a leash, lived in the house, housebroken and she was one of the family. There was and article about it in the paper asking where does a 1,000 lb pig sit. The answer was anywhere she wants. In the picture she was sprawled out on the living room couch while the people sat on the floor to watch tv. The neighbors got the rules changed to outlaw "domestic" animals in the neighborhood, but the pig was grandfathered in until she died of old age. Rabbits, turtles, chickens, goats, cats and dogs were limited to 2. I don't think anyone enforced it well. There were a few places that had anywhere between 3-9 dogs and multiple cats. People keep pot bellied pigs as pets and they can weigh a couple of hundred pound when they grow up. Townhouses usually try to limit the size of the dog to 15 lbs but there are a lot of people living in the townhouses with much bigger dogs. Actually the most popular dog breed around here is the pit bull. They are loving dogs and are not aggressive to people however, they as a rule are not friendly to most other dogs. The breed is much maligned, as a well socialized pit bull that gets a lot of love and training can be as safe as any other breed. Chihuahua on the other hand probably bite more people and are much more snarly, but they don't have the bite force of a pit pull. The people who keep game cocks have dozens of them and they are very noisy all day and night.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I have to shake my head when people can't have a couple chickens but are permitted to have an unlimited number of dogs and/or cats. Which really is worse? I would rather have the chickens, at least they don't bark all night long.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Unfortunately, places make rules that limit the number and the species instead of dealing with irresponsible owners. I'm glad I live out in the country surrounded by goats, horses and chickens. Nobody cares what you're doing, building or what kind of animals you have as long as you keep it at least 100 feet from the road. The downside is, it costs me at least $5 in gas to leave the house because we're so far away from anything.

I do draw the line at predatory zoo animals, though. If I found out a neighbor had a lion, I think I'd want to talk about that.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:I have to shake my head when people can't have a couple chickens but are permitted to have an unlimited number of dogs and/or cats. Which really is worse? I would rather have the chickens, at least they do't bark all night long.

Amen to that. I have a neighbor who lives next door to me that is a vet. She also has 4 dogs of her own that are the worst behaved animals I've ever been around as far as barking from the time they are let out until they are let back in the house. You'd think a vet would have a better grasp on training an animal or knowing how to deal with such behavior from their animals, but NO, she and her husband are totally clueless. I have absolutely no problem calling them to do something with their dogs.

They also have 2 daughters and the youngest, about 5 is hyperactive and a screamer. I mentioned to the mother one day that her daughter sure has a set of lungs since she can be heard in my house when she's inside theirs. She told me when her daughter gets in those moods she just wants to go in her bedroom and close the door and not deal with her.

Thus the problem of not dealing with issues that should be dealt with. No wonder the dogs are so wild if they can't handle their own little girl.

Asica

I live in Los Angeles and we are allowed to have chickens!
Yesterday, I was driving home and one of my neighbors took her hog on a walk. Yes, there are hogs in Los Angeles! I wish I had camera with me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a friend that lives on 5 acres was once 8 miles from town but city limits is now 1 mile away. In the past 39 years all the farm land but his has become new subdivisions. The people in the New Houses think Carl's 5 acre forest, farm house and barn are an eye sore they want it gone. They have taken Carl to court many times wanting the barn and house torn down and the forest trees cut. Contractors have tried to get Carl's land condemned so they can build more houses. Judge ruled Carl had to put up a fence to keep his 3 dogs in. Trees near the road need to be cut. Barn can stay if it continues to be in good repair. He can only use his tractor for gardening between 7am to 5 pm. If any farm animals die they can not be replaced. Gunnies and chickens are gone now he has ticks and chiggers. Goats are gone now his land is turning into a jungle of brush and weeds. Milk cow is gone. Now neighbors are taking Carl to court again the complaint is, property needs to be clean and nice like a city park, well it looked much nicer when he was allowed to have goats and other farm animals.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

That's too bad Gary. I thought that's what right to farm laws were for.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

According to this if it's not commercial it's not a farm:
https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/nuisance/tn_nuis.htm
Which is terribly wrong, IMO. Maybe people should band together to enact homestead protection laws.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”