Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Junk car green houses.

I visited an friend today I have not seen in a few years. He has 4 old cars in his back yard that he uses for green houses. LOL. He put an AD on craigslist that he wanted to buy 4 junk cars. He found a junk man, he told him to remove the motors, transmissions, rear ends, axle, , wheels, all he wants is 4 cars with good windows and doors that open, gutted inside, floors cut out. Crazy idea but it works temperature here today is 39 degrees and its about 80 degrees inside the cars. He has 5 feet by 7 feet inside to grow a garden in winter. The floor of the cars are setting on the ground. It seems to be working his plants are looking good.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

That sounds like a fun way to build greenhouses. Some people are so creative. I saw some pictures of greenhouses built out of car windshields. The one that I liked the best was a mud-plaster structure with car windshields as windows.

imafan26
Mod

Ultimate recycling. Eventually the metal in the cars will continue to decay and settle back into the ground. But also illustrates why no one should be leaving kids and pets alone in a car, it gets really hot inside.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wouldn't be my thing..... backyard looks like a car junkyard, cars aren't usually tall enough to walk around inside, but I don't know if the access is good enough to do the work by reaching in, especially if you are using the middle spaces. It isn't really recycling, because the metal never gets used again. If the cars went to a junk yard, they would be crushed and eventually stamped out into something new. That's recycling, because it keeps new resources from having to be mined/created for the new things....

imafan26
Mod

I guess I have a different description of recycling. Maybe repurposing is a better term.

applestar
Mod

I was wondering about the height issue too -- can't picture how these might be being used....

I saw an old school bus that had been converted into a chicken coop somewhere on the Internet -- If I remember correctly, it wasn't being used like a chicken tractor, but to transport the chickens around the farm to temporary fenced areas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”