Mod

Re: 2016 seed starting

I only put in one order so far from Johhnys
Diva cucumber
King Richard Leeks
Smarty grape tomato
Snapper F1 bell pepper
Pension snap bean, Italian flat.

I am still trying to cut the rest of my orders and see what seeds are still good and trying to plan what I will plant this year. So far, I have overestimated a bit. I planted some things a little too early and I planted a lot too much of the same thing. I have to make sure I only plant a short crop in my community garden so I can get the corn in on time. Some of the seeds I thought were too old sprouted better than I thought they would, now I have to decide whether or not I have to cull the extra seedlings. I found some texas granex onions that sprouted after I gave up on them. It is kinda late but I am planted them out anyway. Now, I have even less room in the garden.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Um... Ya not quite in the mood to start stuff yet. -24 below -47 with wind chill this weekend and we just got more snow. But I did order a few seeds. I too am trying to use up what I have gathered the last few years. I also ordered my fruit trees. My husband convinced me I needed to try some Carolina, Chocolate, and Yellow Reapers since he loves the Ghost Pepper Salsa I made last year. So they will be the first thing I start end of February.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

First snow of the year in NJ but first sprouts (rosemary, lettuce) are up to soften the blow. Grow lights are on. It's go time!

mauser

I just put my peppers to bed.
6x9 trays of Jalapeño, and Banana

Half trays of Cal Wonder, Tabasco, Cayenne, and Habanero.

How about them Pats!!

erins327

I've started! Did a flat of tomatoes last week. Apertif, Sungold, Sweet Millions, and Black Plum. I'm on a cherry tomato vibe this season. Maybe I'll buy a couple larger tomato transplants later....

Will also seed or directly plant eggplant, basil, peppers, and okra and beans going in about April.

imafan26
Mod

So many of my 2009 seeds sprouted that I am still transplanting beefsteak tomatoes and yellow bell peppers.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

erins327 wrote:I've started! Did a flat of tomatoes last week. Apertif, Sungold, Sweet Millions, and Black Plum. I'm on a cherry tomato vibe this season. Maybe I'll buy a couple larger tomato transplants later....

Will also seed or directly plant eggplant, basil, peppers, and okra and beans going in about April.
I know a lot of folks don't think much of starting things like okra and beans in greenhouse for transplant, but I really like it. I have some flats called "Rootmaker". They are made for starting seedlings from acorns, chestnuts, etc. Something about the design allows for "air pruning". I start corn, okra, beans, squash and other seeds in them and get a really good root system. Seems my direct seeding is always just before a big rain and the soil gets too compact for germination.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:So many of my 2009 seeds sprouted that I am still transplanting beefsteak tomatoes and yellow bell peppers.
Amazing how those seeds just keep on giving!

tdump
Cool Member

Well I planted some Rutgers on the 25th ,5 seeds , in 1 of these bottle thingys and only 2 came up,so today I used a spoon and put 1 in another bottle and then centered the other 1. I will add some stuff around them in a couple days.
Since I found this bottle idea on the net I was experimenting and I put some leek seed in 1 of them. Well I dropped the thing and spilled the dirt and all. I put more seeds in it. Well they have ALL came up. Some of the seed were all the way at the bottom and have come up and out. I reckon I will have to transplant them shortly. Seems when I bought some Leeks that were Bonnie plants, they were in a big bunch and I had to separate them. So I have to find out if I need to just feed these and let them go a while longer or not.
The flat has a heat mat under it.It was all planted on the 31st. It has Basil,cilantro, and several kinds of lettuce. Believe it or not, I had lettuce in 48 hours a inch tall. What kind I don't know as the packet said mecilaizn mix or something like that. The mater plants came up in about 6 days in the self watering bottle.
Attachments
DSC00068df.JPG
DSC00075.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting idea, the "bottle thingies." I take it there are little holes in the cap and the cap is down in the water so the soil can wick up water?

tdump
Cool Member

Yes, with a piece of yarn in it for a wick.
It is designed for kids to learn about growing things but I am a kid at heart and I think over watering is what caused me some issues last year when I tried to start plants so I am experimenting with this idea. I hope it is ok with the folks that run this website for me to post this link to the article.
https://www.seattlesundries.com/blogs/ne ... arter-pots

mauser

So far for peppers I have
Cal wonder
Banana
Jalapeño
Tabasco
Cayenne
Habanero
Carolina reaper

Tomatoes
Roma