sepeters

2016 seed starting

It's been a long time! What is everybody getting started now for their spring gardens?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I posted my seed order, here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 13#p375013

Hasn't come yet, so I don't have anything actually started yet.

How about you?

Welcome back! You are in AZ, right? When is your last frost date? How soon will you be starting seeds?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Here we are just beginning to consider maybe what to plant when the time comes sometime late when we can get around to it. Late February for peppers and early March for tomatoes. May even try to start early with melons and cucumbers this year rather than direct sowing. Still in the relax and plan mode.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I've started tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, basil, parsely and a few flower seeds. Will be starting more this weekend.

imafan26
Mod

I started December 12, 2015 and have already up potted toscano and blue kale, fennel, Italian parsley, a few varieties of peppers, beets, broccoli, won bok, and papaya. I planted more on January 2 that is sprouting now beefsteak tomatoes, more varieties of peppers. I transplanted some cilantro, but I lost most of them, I forgot to water them so I started more seeds of cilantro, wildflower mix, nasturtiums, and I still have more papaya, fennel, and won bok to up pot. I cannot start the lettuce for another couple of weeks and I am running out of room. I have cuttings of rosemary, green rose, Mr. Lincoln (so far 100% failure), brown turkey figs, Jamaican oregano, bay leaf, black pepper, lavender, and ohia lehua started.

sepeters

Thanks for the warm welcome, Marlin!
RG- Can't believe your seeds got lost! There must have been hundreds of them. Looks like you're making a strong comeback! : D
I live in AZ, zone 9. Our last frost (and often first) is mid- Feb.
I currently have nothing started! :shock: I have a ten lb. weight lifting restriction and decided not to plant for the spring since I can't till, amend or up-pot; even my seed container weighs more than ten lbs. Boy am I regretting that, now! It'd be the first year I didn't grow toms in probably my whole life!
It's too late to start nightshades now, but am considering direct seeding.
Starting now: Radishes, broccoli, raab, mesclun mix, more cilantro.
Next 3-6 weeks: cukes, summer squash, melons, delicata squash, corn.
Or maybe I'll just sink a bunch of mammoth sunflower seeds.

jasonvanorder

For my zone 6A I should start peppers in late March early April. Our average last date is between May 1-10 Peppers are the only thing I have to start indoors so starting them the beginning of april should give plenty of time to get some good size plants to move to the garden.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have a couple of flats of tomatoes and peppers. Trying to get the peppers going since it always takes a long time to germinate. I will plant tomatoes on 1st and 15th of each month so I have some plants at all stages along the way.

imafan26
Mod

I was surprised that the peppers sprouted. I only tried them since this is an unusually warm January. The tomatoes are growing slower than usual and I have just started some eggplant seeds. It is another thing I usually wait until the weather is warmer.
The beets I started in the garden are putting on new leaves and so far the snails have stayed away. I have a couple of wild tomatoes growing and the mustard cabbage reseeded and is sprouting here and there.

I have poamoho beans ready to pick ( a handful, but it is a start.) I planted them about a month ago.

TareqPhoto

I bought two containers or as you call it window boxes so I can plant parsley seeds in one and mint seeds in the other one.

Also I am going to use a container I used before to grow onion from seeds but didn't work, I will try again from seeds, maybe because I planted the seeds slightly deeper than to the surface and maybe the soil was so hard for germinating, I will try to smoothen the soil a bit and plant the seeds not much deep if that will help.

Tomatoes are growing fine, 2 pots are nearly giving flowers just started which is a good sign for me, one container I filled with cilantro seeds all grown and filled the container but still small seedlings or plants, keeping growing but I hope this one will not bolt as I want to have cilantro as leaves not as flowers same what happened in few pots, I remember someone said to place it in a very shady place, don't know if it is outdoor in shady place without getting the sun light at all will make those cilantro grow without bolting, the heat is not much not even warm so shady and nice temp, what I should do if the cilantro bolt again with those?

All my sunflower seeds I planted in very small pots and cups germinated and sprouted so far and few grown fine, but I am suer they will not go any much further in those very small pots/cups, so either I transplant them quickly which is not the case, or just keep watching until they die and see what changes going with them, I should test one or 2 seeds, but instead I tested 10 seeds and they all germinated, means the seeds are in perfect condition.

So, I hope Parsley, mint and onion will grow for me within 1 month before March and April and summer beginning.

What making me happy that the strawberry seedlings I bought which were in very small pots I transplanted in bigger pots for each and they keep giving fruits, my wife harvested 2 strawberries so far, and my kids are so upset because she didn't keep something for them, now there is one fruit almost nearly to be done, and there is one just growing and I think it will be ready in a week or so.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I need to get some seeds going. Got my pots and my light ready. I need to clean off my work bench and rig up something to keep the seedlings warm.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Starting nothing right now. Here, the first two weeks of March is when things are started for planting out about mid May to first of June.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nothing started yet, but this arrived in the mail today:

It's what I decided on for seed starting in my unheated garage. I will hang lights. I am hoping with lights and two heat mats going and the cover, and some minimal heat added in garage, it will be warm enough. I got some min-max thermometers for Christmas, so I will start checking how cold it gets. It is attached to the house, so hopefully stays some above outdoors.

I got the materials to make one of these candle heaters:

Uses the candle to heat the thermal mass of the clay pots, so that it keeps radiating for awhile .

I will try that first, but if that isn't enough, I have a space heater with thermostat. I'm just concerned about flipping circuit breakers. It's an older house and not wired as much as they would be now. I will already have lights and heat mats. Don't know how much more power draws I can add out there.

And since it will take me awhile to get everything together (lights, mats, ingredients for potting mix), I won't be starting seeds until after next week's cold snap is past.

applestar
Mod

I think I'm going to try making one of those flowerpot candle heaters, too. 8)

As long as I'm going to bolt the two flowerpots together, I'm thinking of making it a handle to pick them up with.... I actually might have an old birdfeeder thingie or maybe a stray/orphaned cooking pot lid?

applestar
Mod

I'm getting antsy to start myself :lol:

To begin with! I'm thinking of starting in the house with things that can be moved out to the garage but will not be bothered if it's gets too cold -- Swiss chard, kale, broccoli and cauliflower (not sure if I have broccoli seeds -- may have to wait till I get some), ...and I found some harvested rhubarb seeds -- not sure if they are still viable, but I think I'll try and see if they will grow. Echinacea....

Cuttings and seedlings propagated last season and fall of lavender and stevia are doing really well in the moderately cold garage. I'm also trying to get some sinensis tea and rosemary cuttings to root. I might take more cuttings of lavender from outside, but I kind of want to grow some other varieties from seeds including a white flowered one, so I may need the space.

I haven't ordered any seeds yet because I'm trying to cut back -- I think I went overboard last year and got myself overwhelmed. I did go to website's and got as far as filling the shopping cart and whittling down to what I HAD to have.... Then took screenshots to make copies and pasted them in my journal labeled as "wish lists" :> I have my onion plants ordered to be delivered in spring. Still have to order seed potatoes and sweet potato slips....

imafan26
Mod

I only put in one order so far from Johhnys
Diva cucumber
King Richard Leeks
Smarty grape tomato
Snapper F1 bell pepper
Pension snap bean, Italian flat.

I am still trying to cut the rest of my orders and see what seeds are still good and trying to plan what I will plant this year. So far, I have overestimated a bit. I planted some things a little too early and I planted a lot too much of the same thing. I have to make sure I only plant a short crop in my community garden so I can get the corn in on time. Some of the seeds I thought were too old sprouted better than I thought they would, now I have to decide whether or not I have to cull the extra seedlings. I found some texas granex onions that sprouted after I gave up on them. It is kinda late but I am planted them out anyway. Now, I have even less room in the garden.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Um... Ya not quite in the mood to start stuff yet. -24 below -47 with wind chill this weekend and we just got more snow. But I did order a few seeds. I too am trying to use up what I have gathered the last few years. I also ordered my fruit trees. My husband convinced me I needed to try some Carolina, Chocolate, and Yellow Reapers since he loves the Ghost Pepper Salsa I made last year. So they will be the first thing I start end of February.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

First snow of the year in NJ but first sprouts (rosemary, lettuce) are up to soften the blow. Grow lights are on. It's go time!

mauser

I just put my peppers to bed.
6x9 trays of Jalapeño, and Banana

Half trays of Cal Wonder, Tabasco, Cayenne, and Habanero.

How about them Pats!!

erins327

I've started! Did a flat of tomatoes last week. Apertif, Sungold, Sweet Millions, and Black Plum. I'm on a cherry tomato vibe this season. Maybe I'll buy a couple larger tomato transplants later....

Will also seed or directly plant eggplant, basil, peppers, and okra and beans going in about April.

imafan26
Mod

So many of my 2009 seeds sprouted that I am still transplanting beefsteak tomatoes and yellow bell peppers.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

erins327 wrote:I've started! Did a flat of tomatoes last week. Apertif, Sungold, Sweet Millions, and Black Plum. I'm on a cherry tomato vibe this season. Maybe I'll buy a couple larger tomato transplants later....

Will also seed or directly plant eggplant, basil, peppers, and okra and beans going in about April.
I know a lot of folks don't think much of starting things like okra and beans in greenhouse for transplant, but I really like it. I have some flats called "Rootmaker". They are made for starting seedlings from acorns, chestnuts, etc. Something about the design allows for "air pruning". I start corn, okra, beans, squash and other seeds in them and get a really good root system. Seems my direct seeding is always just before a big rain and the soil gets too compact for germination.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:So many of my 2009 seeds sprouted that I am still transplanting beefsteak tomatoes and yellow bell peppers.
Amazing how those seeds just keep on giving!

tdump
Cool Member

Well I planted some Rutgers on the 25th ,5 seeds , in 1 of these bottle thingys and only 2 came up,so today I used a spoon and put 1 in another bottle and then centered the other 1. I will add some stuff around them in a couple days.
Since I found this bottle idea on the net I was experimenting and I put some leek seed in 1 of them. Well I dropped the thing and spilled the dirt and all. I put more seeds in it. Well they have ALL came up. Some of the seed were all the way at the bottom and have come up and out. I reckon I will have to transplant them shortly. Seems when I bought some Leeks that were Bonnie plants, they were in a big bunch and I had to separate them. So I have to find out if I need to just feed these and let them go a while longer or not.
The flat has a heat mat under it.It was all planted on the 31st. It has Basil,cilantro, and several kinds of lettuce. Believe it or not, I had lettuce in 48 hours a inch tall. What kind I don't know as the packet said mecilaizn mix or something like that. The mater plants came up in about 6 days in the self watering bottle.
Attachments
DSC00068df.JPG
DSC00075.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting idea, the "bottle thingies." I take it there are little holes in the cap and the cap is down in the water so the soil can wick up water?

tdump
Cool Member

Yes, with a piece of yarn in it for a wick.
It is designed for kids to learn about growing things but I am a kid at heart and I think over watering is what caused me some issues last year when I tried to start plants so I am experimenting with this idea. I hope it is ok with the folks that run this website for me to post this link to the article.
https://www.seattlesundries.com/blogs/ne ... arter-pots

mauser

So far for peppers I have
Cal wonder
Banana
Jalapeño
Tabasco
Cayenne
Habanero
Carolina reaper

Tomatoes
Roma