mauser

Re: What is wrong with the food we eat?

rainbowgardener wrote:and yet, jal-ut, you have said you grow at least mostly organic yourself and don't use poisons. I've seen you recommend DE for pest control and regularly talking about compost and adding organic matter to your soil. That seems to be the heart of organic gardening and farming....
I'm not going to speak for Jul. growing up on and around farms I can tell you some practices are used by both conventuals and organic farmers. For instence tilling in corn stuble, rotating crops and water conservation. That dosnt mean conventuals farmers have any desire to farm organically. It is nothing more than a good practice.

That being said I have no problem with organic farmers or gardeners. It's just not my cup of compost tea is all.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "and yet, jal-ut, you have said you grow at least mostly organic yourself and don't use poisons. I've seen you recommend DE for pest control and regularly talking about compost and adding organic matter to your soil. That seems to be the heart of organic gardening and farming...."

Organic originally meant: "of, relating to, or obtained from living things", yet the term has come to mean produced without the use of chemicals.

I prefer to use the term "Naturally Grown", to indicate that I use natural methods not chemicals. There seems to be a lot of political and legal junk attached to the term "Organic", so I tend to avoid it.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What wrong with the food we eat? Not much! We eat extensively out of the pesticide free garden. We almost exclusively buy only ingredients from the grocery store, almost nothing ready made. Buy simple ingredients, buy a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, grow as much as you have time and space for, and the diet should be excellent.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”