lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Re: Let the 2016 Games Begin

KitchenGardener wrote:Hey Lakngulf, have you started your sweet potatoes yet or are you getting slips from your cousin? I ask because I need someone with sweet potato slip growing experience to help me out!

In the meantime, your vegies look awesome - can't believe how big and how fast they are growing. But the key question: has it proven to be critter proof? :() :twisted:
Please understand that this is my FIRST year to attempt to grow slips, and to plant sweet potatoes at all. I got help from my cousin on growing them, and from some advice on here. I started with a couple of potatoes about 1/3 submerged in water in a mason jar. Used toothpicks to keep the top 2/3 out of water. Got some decent success with slips this way.

Another method I tried was to lay a couple of potatoes length wise in some moist potting soil, with just the top third showing above the potting soil. This method worked too, AND I think is the best, because the slips that form have some decent nutrients from the potting soil.

I took the slips from both methods, separated them from the mother potato (leaving a small bit of potato where I could) and put the slips in 3 inch peat pots with potting soil. After couple of days I gave them a small drink of miracle gro (especially the ones that formed in the mason jar because they were pale green compared to the others). They grew in there for a week to ten days and are now planted in my Mom's garden.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Looks fantastic lakngulf! :D love the blue hydrangeas, too -- I was going to ask if that was this year when you posted that photo in another thread. Should have known by the metal panels. They look sleek.
Thanks. Even my wife says the metal around the pier and around the garden looks better this year!!!!! The test will come as the corn gets ripe, and the first will reach that stage in 10 -14 days.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Remember this???

Well, so far it has led to this, and more. First time I have picked vine ripe tomatoes in years. These came straight from the garden. Previously, I had to pick them early or the squirrels would get them. And so far we have enjoyed the fresh corn instead of the raccoons. Hoping for continued success.

And the result is this for supper:

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Yummy!!!!

Glad to see your success!!!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Yeah, Corn is in the Barn

Always an anxious time when sweet corn is about ready to harvest. The raccoons get there a couple of days before. But a good electric fence helps.

The corn at my Mom's garden was in perfect shape to work Monday morning

So, I am up at five o'clock and begin the process.

Shucked, silked and ready to cut by 6am

Mother takes care of the cooking process. Funny, though, she asks me if I think it has cooked enough, when she has been doing this for 75 years.

applestar
Mod

Fabulous! Your Mother must be proud :D It sounds like she really enjoys having the garden. What a wonderful way to spend time together.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Some of my fondest memories of my Nanny were times like these! Putting up crops from our garden. Freezing soups and canning beans and jellies! Good stuff!

Do you freeze it?
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Fabulous! Your Mother must be proud :D It sounds like she really enjoys having the garden. What a wonderful way to spend time together.
She does enjoy the garden. Likes to go out each morning before it is too hot to see what has changed. She loves to bring the strugglers back to life.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Some of my fondest memories of my Nanny were times like these! Putting up crops from our garden. Freezing soups and canning beans and jellies! Good stuff!

Do you freeze it?
Yes, we freeze it in the quart zip lock bags. It is quite good.

It goes from the grill to an outside frig for cooling.

Then then to zip locks

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Y'all put anything it it or just "creamed" (we call creamed corn that because once you've cut the kernels off, you scrape the "milk" off the cob with the side of the cutting blade.) corn?
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Y'all put anything it it or just "creamed" (we call creamed corn that because once you've cut the kernels off, you scrape the "milk" off the cob with the side of the cutting blade.) corn?
We call it "creamed corn" was well. It is pure! Nothing added except a little water at cooking stage.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”