Asica

Radishes

When I lived in Poland, we would grow radishes all Summer long. This was the easiest crop to grow and super fast. Now, I live in California and I am not having much luck with radishes. They sprout fast, but then just sit and if they grow head, it takes forever and it does not taste well. I recently had them in a keyhole garden, with compost, manure, mulch all over, full sun, etc. everything grows fantastic there besides radishes. :evil:
From my experience with radishes they are easy to grow, but I am having no luck. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Radish is a cool weather early Spring crop. If it gets too hot, they just want to flower and won't make a good bulb. You may want to try some different varieties too, see if some do better there?

applestar
Mod

Yeah, if you live in part of California where it doesn't freeze much, you might have better luck growing radishes NOW.

Asica

Thank you. I was wondering why my super easy crop is the worst one to grow. That California weather mess me up. Lol
I have a packet, so I will try planting tomorrow.

Asica

Asica wrote:Thank you. I was wondering why my super easy crop is the worst one to grow. That California weather mess me up. Lol
I have a packet, so I will try planting tomorrow.

imafan26
Mod

Make sure your soil is not to rich in nitrogen and the seeds are not crowded or most root crops will produce leaves but not roots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”