rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Sweet corn planting

rainbowgardener wrote:25 x 40 m doesn't make sense to me either . I have grown corn in a 4th block (1.2 m sq) and I have seen it grown in large containers.
that was of course supposed to say 4x4 ft block, but it was done from my tablet and got auto corrected.... sigh :?

TareqPhoto

Well, we have low temp and cloudy temp today, and little rains, very little, and a bit windy, I really don't know why but the sweet corn seedlings is growing fast, and the tomatoes seedlings at least in 2 pots WOW, I feel they grown about 2-3 inches in one day, yesterday I felt they were slightly up the top of the pot, but today late night when I came back and checked out I see the seedlings are like increased 2 inches to my eyes, is it because this nice cloudy little rainy weather? and I thought only warmth with not rainy is what some plants like, and I was worry that my plants will be damaged.

I think I will try as soon as possible to plant corn seeds in my garden so they can grow in this nice weather and ready for summer, because until summer with nice weather between warmth and cold and rainy and sunny days it may help the plants to get used of weather at the best of it, with warmth some days and some shades and water from rain another days I wouldn't worry about lacking warmth and water, sounds the soil is keeping moisture enough, and I will watch sweet corn for second time, first time I failed, could be that I planted 2 seeds in one hole so they were fighting each other when they both germinated in one hole, now I planted 1 seed each hole and they germinated already except 1 seed from one container, but I think I should just stop testing and just wait to prepare that ground quickly in my garden and plant the sweet corn in block.

I am not worry about pollination, you told me about block so I will make sure about it, but the first time when I planted corn seeds, they germinated and sprouted and grown for about 1 inches or nearly 2 inches but then died all of seedlings, so before I worry about pollination I have to worry about growing enough, it didn't reach even 1 foot at least to have hope, if this second time worked little longer then maybe one reason I knew, I will check out later and update here.

applestar
Mod

I feel like I already addressed growing corn from seeds, starting them in containers and then planting them in the garden or small numbers of plants if you want to try that, as well as in self watering containers/sub irrigated planters to address the watering issues, and hand pollination when numbers of plants are inadequate for natural wind pollination. I thought I posted links to other threads and posts in which I described these procedures in detail. Have you had the chance to read them?

I sometimes have to stop myself from trying to repeat myself and write a whole new long post when I'd already written multiple posts in details that were fresh when I wrote them and that I probably won't remember them all now.

I'll be glad to answer questions you have if anything I described had not been clear.

TareqPhoto

applestar wrote:I feel like I already addressed growing corn from seeds, starting them in containers and then planting them in the garden or small numbers of plants if you want to try that, as well as in self watering containers/sub irrigated planters to address the watering issues, and hand pollination when numbers of plants are inadequate for natural wind pollination. I thought I posted links to other threads and posts in which I described these procedures in detail. Have you had the chance to read them?

I sometimes have to stop myself from trying to repeat myself and write a whole new long post when I'd already written multiple posts in details that were fresh when I wrote them and that I probably won't remember them all now.

I'll be glad to answer questions you have if anything I described had not been clear.
You did, and thank you very much for that, I so appreciate it really!

I do read posts, but because I get busy in my life and with my plants and many other things and also I am not member on garden site only but another sites of photography and computers and such things so I quickly forget about posts here and there, so I apologize if I repeat something that has been already answered, also I sometimes keep updating my threads or posts to show what is new, and also new answers may have some good changes, and some methods that have been mentioned could be updated with new better methods, maybe not in planting, but always same answer or new better one always help, we here in arab world keep saying "Repeating will teach the smarts", and as funny we changed this saying to "Repeating will teach the donkey". :()

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”