Asica

How to tell when it's time to pick broccoli

This is first time, I am succesful at planting broccoli. I know it will eventualy bloom so I have to pick it before that. It has been very warm recently around 70's which I can imagine makes them bloom more. I attaching picture. To me it looks like the broccoli is starting to bloom. It is time to cut it?
Attachments
20151208_120239.jpg

Asica

Close up
Attachments
20151208_120129.jpg

Asica

Thank you. I will harvest it tomorrow and make it for lunch. Kids will love it.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Usually, I let the head get to be a least the size of my palm or larger. I plant Packman, other types may be larger or smaller. I prefer them a little larger than my palm. If you start to see some yellow, they are fixing to bloom and won't be as tasty.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yes, I do! And so does my little dog. He'll go in the garden and bounce up and down and bark for broccoli! Actually, he does it for beans and carrots, too. I'll have some ready to cut in about a week.

Asica

So I steamed the broccoli and the kids ate it like crazy. I was able to steal a piece. I have to say, this was the best broccoli I have ever had in my life! It was even easy to cut. I tried growing broccoli so many times, but end up being eaten by worms. Then I found this forum and was introduce to BT and not I have enjoyed my I best broccoli head. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So glad it worked out for you to enjoy your broccoli!

You did right. You can't pick them by size, because it depends on temperature and conditions. In cold weather, the broccoli will keep growing and the heads will get bigger. Once days are long and temps are warm, the broccoli bolts quicker -- those buds will just open up without waiting for the head to get bigger.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"So I steamed the broccoli and the kids ate it like crazy. I was able to steal a piece. I have to say, this was the best broccoli I have ever had in my life!"

Excellent. This is the kind of success story we love to hear.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Cut my first head Saturday-me and the dog ate it raw in the garden! My little neighbors that moved last summer loved broccoli -I sure miss them!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”