imafan26
Mod

Frost-free winter gardeners what are you doing now.

Well, I am behind as usual but, there are a few people lurking who either live in the southern hemisphere or zones 10 and up who will actually be able to keep planting now.

Carrots, beets, lettuce, radish, Asian greens, onions, leeks, herbs, cabbage, kale, collards, fava beans, peas, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, daikon, gobo, cauliflower, and chard can be grown now.

I just planted a new Waimanalo long eggplant, the grape tomato was planted a few weeks ago and it is about 10 inches tall now. The poamoho string beans and manoa wonder snow peas are just sprouting. I planted some cilantro today and threw more sluggo all over the place. I caught two snails and one slug yesterday and two snails today. Just about my average. I find them working in the garden, I am not even trying to find them.

It has been raining almost every day and there has only been a couple of days of sunshine so I spent the weekend trying to catch up with some of the weeds. I filled one of my green cans and I took 6 bags of weeds and trimmings down to the compost facility. There is still a lot more to do and it won't take much to bring the weeds back.

Even with the rain, I still needed to water the garden. I did not water the garden for 4 days because it rained and the komatsuma and the mizuna wilted. The mizuna is a goner but the komatsuma is making a comeback.

I just harvested the ginger.

I usually would have more things planted but it is just not working out right now. So, I live vicariously. What are you growing now.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Well, waiting on my broccoli and cauliflower to head up. The asparagus beans will be done for tonight as our low is predicted to be in the upper 40's, but I have harvested enough to eat some every day for over a month now! The cabbage is heading good-still have some tomatoes on the vine. Have green onions and bok choi in the ground just standing still it seems. The carrots the neighbor boy planted in a container are looking good-he may have carrots for Christmas! My nasturiums are blooming-I could eat the whole plant in one sitting! Planted petunias, pansies and snapdragons over the weekend-they'll be beautiful in March.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Frost free? How would it be? Here, 14 degrees this evening and 3 inches of fresh snow on everything. I planted some onion seed in a tray in the house. Just had to grow something. :)

catgrass
Green Thumb

I could never ever live where some of you guys do! I hate our winters, and it hardly freezes and if it does, it's only for a day or two. High today and for the next 5 days will be in the 60's, which means it will probably reach 70. Nights will be in the 40's. There is always something growing in the ground or blooming in the flower bed.

imafan26
Mod

So far my beans and peas have been up almost a week and they are all still there. I have a few tomatoes from the Livingston grape and the other grape tomato is still growing. I planted some cilantro in with the tomatoes since they won't be there long and if the snails get in the pots they will go for them first. I also planted a new Waimanalo long eggplant and replaced the mizuna and replanted the ginger, but I don't expect to see ginger shoots for some time.
James, I wondered how you kept busy when you did not have your acre to till.

greenstubbs

In the N.E. Bay area I've got Cauliflower and Sprussel Brouts getting ready to start flowering this year. I don't do much in the winter as we do get frosts from now till early Feb. and with the sun so far south I don't get much of it due to neighbors trees. I blew off this years crops due to the drought, pissed me off but I did my part to conserve and conserve I did. Even blew off watering the yard. Will see how wet this winter is before deciding what happens next summer. This place is nothing but a irrigated desert! Pray for rain!

Brent

3, 4x4 raised beds (Phoenix AZ):

Two squares are filled with all kinds of lettuce, arugula and spinach and are doing great. I have tomato cages laid on their sides with clear plastic laid over the top to keep them warm. On the warmer days I take the cover off completely, on the average days, it stays on with just one side opened up.

It got below freezing four nights last week, and some of the lettuces in the one uncovered raised bed did not enjoy it, neither did the tomatillo or jalapeno. I composted the wilted tomatillo bush which had half grown fruit all over it. The Jalapeño plant got trimmed and placed in a pot to be brought inside.

I also have parsley, cilantro, and carrots which are doing great.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”