pharmerphil

Garlic Woes

As usual, We planted our hardneck garlic the third week of October, did everything the same as we do every year (Planting depth, hay mulch, etc.)
But due to the unseasonably warm weather we have had...Yesterday, we noticed several sprouts coming through the 4-5 inches of hay mulch.

I have had it come through in EARLY March (which scared the bejeebers out of me...and was told by an old friend (no longer with Us) :(
that it would be fine..However, here in Minnesota zone 4..the cold weather is yet to come..Our we going to be OK, I'd hate to add more hay, but if needed I would...wouldn't be the first time I was out in April "fluffing" the hay to let the shoots come through

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it'll be fine. cold weather will knock the tops back, but no real damage will be done. around here we usually have garlic tips up yet in the fall. winter here sometimes kills the tops, and sometimes not, but either way they grow on in spring just fine.

if anything, consider this as a good sign that they've got good root-growth happening.

pharmerphil

if anything, consider this as a good sign that they've got good root-growth happening
Good Point! It was just a shock, we usually have a much colder November...
The same was told to me when the situation was that they were coming up through the snow in March and Very cold weather was in the forecast.

I thank You For Your reply and advice :()
we put in 645 cloves this fall..not much, but up from 425 last year..Next year?? Who knows..we try not to sell or use too much...but sometimes..we short ourselves
Row croppers around Us one by one have stopped by and asked: Is That Corn?? or You got some big onions there... :>
Here's a pic of the 2015 crop..in June

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Yes the garlic will be fine. Even if it were to completely die back, it will regrow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your garlic will be fine. Garlic can withstand the ravages of winter.

pharmerphil

Thanks Everyone for your replies...I feel much better now :)
Looks like the weather is going to be in the 40's for at least another week..I really don't care to put many hours on the snowblower this year

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”