JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Working smarter in the fall garden

Working smarter not harder...lol. Ma Nature mulched my collards and kale for me. It was actually pretty awesome. One day last week I was lamenting that I would have to come home and rake all my leaves. Then we had a pretty epic windstorm that blew the whole yard clean and piled them up right where I would have raked them. Made the fall clean-up very easy this year. My collards and kale were well established and "caught" just enough of the leaves to give themselves a good mulching.

applestar
Mod

Re: Working smarter in the fall garden

Yay! :clap:

-- now that they are mulched, if you put a low hoop tunnel with frost protection fabric over them, they should last for a while into the deep freeze.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yay! :clap:

-- now that they are mulched, if you put a low hoop tunnel with frost protection fabric over them, they should last for a while into the deep freeze.

We'll pick and eat on each as we go, and then pick the collards heavily (then cook and freeze) before the first sub-20 degree night. The kale I don't worry about. It normally survives whatever winter has in store. Last year we had several sub zero nights (like minus 13 even!) and a few stretches where the daytime high never got above freezing for a week or two. The kale wasn't happy about it, but it survived and flourished in the spring. This batch is from seed I saved from those survivors, so I like their chances!

kcopper

applestar wrote:Yay! :clap:

Hi Applestar. What frost protection do you use?

imafan26
Mod

I like that, a self cleaning garden. I wish I had that. I just have a jungle.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow ! Very nice. You should see my fall garden. Snowy White and the temperature is 14 degrees. Not a green thing in sight. Oh well, that is winter in Utah at 5000 ft elevation. Maybe we will get going by mid March?
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

This is what the garden looked like yesterday morning...kinda pretty if you ask me!

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I have uncovered lettuce thriving. Reports of its inability to tolerate heavy freezes, frozen ground, and freeze/thaw are grossly overstated. Of course, it depends on the variety. I have Muir and Sparx. I am amazed with Muir, doesnt bolt in 100 degree heat, grows with 10 hour days and temps in the 40's . Of course, there is also the brussels sprouts. Peas are kaput, to tell you something about the weather.
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”