Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Tomatoes were Fatally Killed to Death.

Tomatoes and squash were fatally killed to death by frost 2 days. Bells peppers are doing good peppers are less sensitive to frost. Garlic is looking good I never did get round to covering them with straw.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If your tomatoes had fruit, I hope you picked them to do something with the tomatoes. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when my plants were loaded with green tomatoes. I wound up frying some, making Salsa Verde' with some, pickling some in a bread and butter brine and giving a lot of them away.

imafan26
Mod

So, sorry to hear that. I guess a lot of people's season is over. At least you got some tomatoes. I have harvested only some daikon and basil. The snails have been eating my seedlings for months now and I have a hard time keeping the seedlings from disappearing overnight.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like you need to encourage more snail predators, @imafan. Make sure what you are using against snails are not also toxic or harmful to their predators.

My tomatoes are done for too. Some of the bell and other sweet pepper plants are in the garage, and hot peppers are in the house being decorative as well as providing culinary opportunities.

I haven't been able to get out in the garden to finish cleaning up and I actually still need to plant garlic -- I hope to get that done this week... Two weeks later than planned. :|

It's finally going to rain this week though. Good and bad. Hope I can get out there between raindrops.

imafan26
Mod

I should have stock in sluggo by now. I just have too many hiding places for them and not enough rosy apple snails.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

apple snails are aquatic (people use them in aquariums). I think you meant rosy wolf snail? It is a land snail that eats other snails.

applestar raises a good point, if rosy wolf snail would be one of your main snail predators. Wouldn't the sluggo work against it, just about as well as against the herbivorous snails you want to get rid of? both being snails and all....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Tomatoes and squash were fatally killed to death by frost 2 days."

So this goes from frost to snails?

Coming back to frost........ You can sometimes cover those tomatoes with something to help protect them from frost when the weather forecast is for frost. I like to get a roll of that 6 mil poly from the lumber yard. Ya, a whole roll may be rather expensive..... wonder if they will cut off a piece for you? I don't know... I was a building contractor back in the working day, and things like a roll of visqueen were no problem. We used it all the time out on the job. Various tarps are available here at the variety stores. Any how, cover them up with something!

we have had a couple of good freezes here, Its all over for the season. Garlic is planted. Time to go look at seed catalogs and plan next years gardening?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”