digitS'
Super Green Thumb

And Now, the Peas

There have been 2 frosts. I limited some of the damage by running sprinklers but the bean leaves were sheared off the top of those plants. Still, they recovered some and there are beans coming off those plants. They are from seed sown in July on spring pea and lettuce beds.

There are actually a few snow peas that volunteered amongst the beans :). I left those little vines and harvested a handful, about a week ago. These Sugar Snap peas, however, were grown where I harvested early potatoes, in late July.
IMG_20151013_133147032.jpg
If I'm lucky with frost, this is the time of year when I have both some green beans and peas. I haven't learned to take full advantage of this.

:) Steve

catgrass
Green Thumb

Oh, man, those look good. I've only grown a few and they only produce enough for me to eat standing in the garden!

theforgottenone1013

Lucky you! I meant to plant peas for fall but never got around to it.

-Rodney

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice!

I had a few volunteer after the first crop. They are just now coming on. So I have a few to eat in the garden. Reminds me I should plant for a late fall crop. (Next season)

imafan26
Mod

I should plant some too. It should be the right time for them, even though the day temps are still unseasonably warm 89 degrees yesterday, the nights are cooling to 70's. I could probably do more beans too.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was probably having volunteers that turned my little upstairs light on, regarding a planting date.

I'm out there on this area's hottest week of the summer, on average - last week of July. I've been almost dizzy from the heat, sowing seeds for peas. It always seems surreal.

I don't always harvest the pods. The vines may not grow as well through the heat of Summer as they do in the Spring but it's the freezing weather that can really put a stop to things. It doesn't much matter that they can survive a frost. One problem, the flowers can't really.

I have to be willing to enjoy the tendrils. I will still want them in stir-fry; the pea flavor is the same.

At the right moment this year, I've decided that is when the flowers are nice, I just went ahead and harvested a handful. Most were left to see what they could do. With the sprinklers and only those 2 frosts, they did fine.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”