Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Does Superthrive work?

I don't know if there is a policy on the forum about not reviewing products by name or not, but was wondering if anyone here uses Superthrive and if they believe that it has some benefits for plants or not?

I was thinking of getting some online.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I am puzzled are you doing hydroponics or a lot of transplanting like in a nursery etc. It is banned in 2 states that I know of and there is a debate about whether it can in any way be called organic. In those first 2 applications it seems to be of benefit and is used by many horticulturalists for those 2 purposes. Some people claim it helps houseplants, but I don't know about that. I personally don't think it is worth the money for the small home gardener, but someone may disagree with me on that.

imafan26
Mod

Superthrive does work. It contain hormones ,1-Naphthyl acetic acid (a synthetic growth hormone) and vitamin B1. The two states Wisconsin and South Dakota, because products containing NAA require registration with the EPA as a pesticide. They banned it as an unregistered pesticide. Superthrive has been around since the 40's and has many applications.

It works as a root stimulator and growth enhancer. It does need to be used with caution. It is very acidic. I had a bottle I kept awhile that totally ate through the metal cap. Aways use gloves and wash your hands after handling. I treat all growth stimulators as possibly carcinogenic so like IBA, I always use gloves handling it.

It lasts a long time because you use a very tiny amount
Plant growth stimulatort 1 drop in a gallon of water no more than once a year.
Make sure the plant is in good media and has adequate fertilizer. Superthrive will make the plants grow but it does not feed it or provide root support. Using it more than once a year will force too much growth and increase the chance of the plant dying.

Node stimulator. 10% solution applied to a cotton swab and applied to the plant node to stimulate a keiki on orchids.

When orchids are repotted. 1 drop of superthrive per gallon. When the media is removed from the plant and the dead roots taken out, the plant is usually soaked in a fungicide solution. Then it can be dipped in the superthrive solution before being repotted.

When you are trying to bring a sick plant back and restart growth. Cut out the bad parts of the plant, fertilize and water regularly you can use superthrive to try to revive the plant especially if the leaves have been falling off.

A lot of the commercial people use to bring a plant to maturity faster and bloom better.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thanks for the info. I'm not doing hydroponics, but do have a new property that we are trying to spruce up. So, planting some apple trees, and other shrubs. Pampas grass, pyracantha, Russian sage, a rosebush, and probably some more stuff, and thought a drop or two might help in the initial watering when planting outside. Maybe a vitamin B 1 transplant solution would be sufficient though, don't know.

I've actually used superthrive in the past, but never really knew if it did anything or not. The caps on the bottles I've had always seem to corrode themselves shut, since I use it so seldom.

imafan26
Mod

superthrive is not specifically for hydroponics. Orchid growers will use it to increase plant growth and get plants to bloom sooner.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Apple or other fruiting plants need water. save your money wasted on super-thrive and buy some beer.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

So, you're saying mix the beer in with the water and give it to the newly transplanted trees? What would be the correct proportion? I guess the brewer's yeast would be a good source of vitamin B. :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

No, I'm saying drink the beer, then water your trees.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”